21-The Jack of Hearts, part 2

Once more, we all went back to the canteen and in that circumstance I understood the true meaning of "nervous hunger". I was on my fourth packet of cookies and, the fact that it was late at night, only increased my anxiety and hunger.

Chishiya stole a cookie out of my packet and I glared at him.

Despite the paradoxical situation, at least he and I managed to maintain some "normality" with those small gestures.

The group said the symbols again and, as we were doing from the beginning, before our turn came, Chishiya and I said ours without being noticed.

I realized that one of the girls, the one with the bob hair, was beginning to no longer trust Urumi. I also wanted to hear Chishiya's theories, but it was really difficult to talk to each other for more than two minutes without attracting attention.

I looked around for other suspects, but aside from what he'd told me earlier, I was in the dark.

"Don't worry, I have a plan." He whispered to me. "I think I might know who the Jack is." He said even more quietly, that I almost had a hard time hearing him.

Another round was ending and we all went back to the cells; I saw that the girl with the bob hair took another way.

I was starting to hate that place and that silly voice that told me to give my answer. "Club." I said, annoyed.

I heard a bang and this time I had no idea who died; I discovered it shortly after, when the photo of a girl I hadn't noticed and the one with the bob hair went out on the monitor. I didn't know how to explain her death, because I had seen her symbol on her collar and Urumi hadn't lied to her.

The metallic voice announced the sixth round. We had already been there for six bloody hours!

Me, Chishiya and the boy in the striped t-shirt stood in the hallway.

"Why are they all tricking each other?" He asked, his voice wheezy.

"Wow, are you really surprised?" Chishiya said. "Nobody wants to be the next to die."

"And as there are less of us, it's harder and harder to trust each other. And lying remains our only defense." I added.

Three more rounds went by and we got to the ninth. Some people had started to freak out, others to have panic attacks.

Chishiya and I were impassive.

I went to the shelf and this time took a packet of dried fruit.

Without being seen, Chishiya used another method to tell me my symbol this time: he made a heart with his hands, which I reciprocated, not only because it was also his symbol, but also for other things that we both knew well.

"What a coincidence." He whispered.

I smiled at him, without letting the others see me.

A man from our group was about to feel sick and Urumi went to comfort him, then she asked him to tell her what was her symbol.

The man hesitated a moment and stammered his answer, as if he was deciding whether to tell her the truth or not. The others confirmed what he had said, but the Urumi's confidence disappeared from her face for the first time.

After that round, me, Chishiya and the boy in the striped t-shirt, who we discovered was named Ippei, fell away from the group.

The tenth round began and soon the balance would be broken for good. Now, no one trusted anyone, except the two couples and the three of us.