30

The next few weeks fly by in a blur of several funeral arrangements.

I barely speak to anyone...only Junpei and my dad when I need to.

The day of the funeral I keep to myself despite Junpei's efforts to comfort me.

There's a few calls from Taiga to check on me too.

I can't walk up to see my mom in her casket, it's too hard. I don't wanna believe that she's gone.

*.·:·.☽✧  ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*
*.·:·.☽✧Many Years Ago✧☾.·:·.*
*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*

Back when I was younger, around four and a half years old, I remember Junpei's mother. I don't remember much about her at that young age, but I remember the day she left very clearly.

It was a dark and stormy night. Cliché, I know. I was here in Japan spending time with Dad, Junpei, and Junpei's mom for the rest of summer. We were all asleep until I heard Junpei crying at the top of his lungs. He woke me and father up.

By the time I reach him, Dad was trying to talk to his mother. I remember her saying she just has to go, and that she wasn't happy.

I walk to Junpei and hold my hand out for him.

"Hey PeiPei...don't cry!" I wipe his tears from his eyes. "Whatever you're sad about, it's okay."

I smile at Junpei and he smiles weakly back.

"She wants to leave..." Junpei states.

Dad looks at us and sighs.

"Come to our room so we don't have to talk about this in front of the kids."

His mother and our dad walk to their room to speak in private. I stay with Junpei and I hug him. He's not crying now that I'm here, but he isn't speaking either. He's always been good at surprising his emotions when I'm around him.

Once they return, his mother gives Junpei a kiss on his head, and with that she was gone.

Father was heartbroken. They'd been together since him and my mother separated. After that, father and my mother got closer again. We ended up moving out to Japan for a couple of years.

Junpei was now eight years old. I'm now seven.

Mom, Junpei, I were at the store shopping after school and we ran into Junpei's mother. She stopped my mom and wanted to speak with Junpei who was too busy playing with a monster truck, making car noises and special sound effects for flips is all he's worried about.

Me on the other hand, I was paying attention to his mother. She was beautiful. A spitting image of Junpei. They had the same nose, the same eyes, same hair color.

My mom shakes her head at Junpei's mother.

"You decided to leave all those years ago..." my mom says. "I know you Askari. You're just going to leave him again...once you get another spontaneous impulse to follow this dream or follow that one. He's a good kid, he doesn't deserve that kind of heartbreak again."