Chapter 7

I stared blankly ahead as Rodimus spoke from his podium. His words floated over my helm but didn't process in my audio receptors and were just noise.

First Aid had woken me up for the funeral so here I sat, in between Chromedome and Fortress Maximus. I was absolutely silent, not moving a muscle or saying a word despite the few whispers around me. A caught a few mechs glance at me but I ignored them.

Instead, I just stared at the coffin representing Rewind, whose body was not found or recovered.

'And in this way we are connected.' Everyone said around me as Rodimus finished his speech. My intake moved with the words but no sound came out. 

The red mech continued with a stony face as he talked about Rewind, also paying Max, Domey and I some respect for getting rid of Overlord. He called Chromedome up to say a few words so he did.

'I don't have a huge amount to say.' He said blankly, 'I'm sorry he's gone. We're all sorry he's gone. Thank you.' 

I watched him as he walked and sat back down next to me. Rodimus looked in my direction questioningly but I shook my helm. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't.

I couldn't say anything to, for or about Rewind.

He was gone.

Just like everyone else.

And his screams were still echoing in my helm.

Max put his servo on my shoulder but I turned my helm down, paying him no attention. I could feel his gaze on me but I just gripped the chair and waited for the funeral to finish before the coffins were ejected into space.

I was out of the room before anyone else, wanting to get as far away as possible. I heard a few mechs calling my name but I kept my helm down. I'd expected them to come sooner, but wasn't surprised when I finally felt tears slipping down my face and tickling my cheek as they went.

I went into my room, shutting the door immediately and letting my mask slid up. Having no strength to walk to my berth, I leaned back against the door and slid down, pulling my knees up and burying my face in my arms. I felt them dampen as I cried into them.

I'd read enough of CD's memories to see that Overlord hadn't been lying. Domey had gone down there to poke around in his memories and with that, the phycopath had escaped.

But I'd also seen the orange mech blamed himself more than anyone. Maybe even more than I blamed myself right now. The two of them had a whole future together.

I screamed in silent agony, letting the pain of my digits scraping on my arms bring me back to reality. I clenched the fins of my helm and sobbed, probably leaving marks on them.

My helm however, shot up as someone walked past my room. I don't know who it was but I caught fragments of their thoughts. My optics widened when I heard them.

I took deep breaths, forcing myself to calm down. The tears soon stopped and I was breathing normally again. I let out a shaky exhale and dropped my arms, letting my servos sit next to me. I then stood up and turned, put my mask back on and opened the door.

I hurried out and in the direction of the shuttle bay. Mechs were lined along the halls there, clearing a path for one to walk through. I ran forward to him, trying to catch up.

As I was about to put my servo on his shoulder, someone in the crowd yelled out and on instinct, I whipped around and my arm shot up. The mech in front of me turned as I caught the pipe that had been aimed at his helm.

Ratchet ran over to Drift to check if he was alright, but he looked at me, his optics filled with sorrow. 'Radiowave...' He started, reaching for me. I dropped the pipe and took his servos in mine, 'I'm so sorry.' He whispered, 'It's my fault Overlord was on board. It's my fault he's gone.'