Vol. 3 Chapter five - A look back.

2012, September 15th. Saturday, noon.

Barry was the quiet kid at school. Known for his odd series of behaviors, and back and forth personality, he was not the most popular kid. He didn't have many friends, but he had a club. 

The sound sensitivity club, Eurona Elementary.

Barry was the president and the only member who stayed for more than a year.

The club only had one activity: sitting in complete silence. Not a single sound would be made inside their club room.

Now, why is this important, you may ask? Because we're taking a trip to the past of course.

Barry was eating lunch alone, as usual. All he could hear was the ticking of the clock, and the rumors being spread about him because of his relation to Vick(Sarah.)

Barry always had excellent hearing. Hearing that would have made owl harpies jealous. Sometimes, he even heard things that had either not been said yet or said long before he was even near the person who said them.

Mitsuki: (Awe, Yuugo really got a reputation for himself, huh?)

Barry: Shut up...

Barry started to cry. Overwhelmed by everything he was hearing, he just shut down.

He blacked out till he felt a tapping on his shoulder.

Vick: What are you crying for, wimp?

Barry: I hear everything people say about you... about me. About us.

Vick: So?

Barry: Don't you get it, Vick?! Your behavior is dragging me down with you...

Vick scoffed.

Vick: Barry, I learned a long time ago to not let people get to me. Stop being so fragile.

Barry: Vick, you don't know what I put up with every day.

Vick: Oh please, you're not the one who gets into fights to protect his brother. You're not the one who consistently beats the hell out of jerks mocking our family name. You're not the one-

Barry: YOU'RE NOT THE ONE WHO HAS TO TAKE THE FALL!

The entire cafeteria went silent. Hearing the quiet kid yell, let alone get in an argument with the strongest kid in school? They were all afraid for their lives.

Barry: Every day, I have to deal with what everyone says. I have to deal with the mental trauma of knowing that I'm never going to have friends at this school because my brother decided to get into fights and be a thug who spends every day in detention!

Vick: Do you think I wanted to be like this, Bartholomew? Do you think I wanted to have a dad who only taught me how to use my fist? That I wanted to fight every day to earn respect?

Barry: WHAT GOOD IS RESPECT, IF IT ENDS UP MENTALLY KILLING YOUR BROTHER!?!

Vick's face went pale. He never actually considered for more than a second how his actions would affect his family.

Vick looked at the ground.

Vick: I can't go back on my actions, Barry. Everything is set in stone. My rep cannot be unearned. They'll never stop seeing me as a thug, they'll never see me as anything else.

Barry: SO I'M JUST SUPPOSED TO DEAL WITH BEING A TARGET BECAUSE YOU'RE A BUTT!?!

That was the most scathing insult Barry knew at the time. He had heard all the swears from his father watching the sport, but he didn't know their context or usage. A few of the students even gasped.