Missed Calls

You woke woke up that morning somewhat rested. The night prior had been really busy, and confusing, too. You let out a big yawn, stretching your arms and sitting at the corner of your bed. Your leg was still injured, bruises all around your ankle that had appeared overnight. 

"Guess I will use a ice bag."  You thought, when you remembered something important... "My parents!"

You rushed over to search for your phone, but it was nowhere to be found. "Shit... Where is it?" You wondered scattering over the sheets, until you found it dropped on the floor. You rushed to grab it and try texting your family, but the surprise was bigger than it should. 

"23 new messages, 9 missed calls."

A shiver ran down your spine, your face became white and you could swear your heart skipped a beat. Your hands trembled while trying to unlock it, knowing and at the same time not knowing what to expect. You unlocked the messages app.

"Hello mi amor bendiciones, how are you?"  "Respond"  "Y/N what. Are you doing."

Those where the three first texts that you saw in your inbox. Your blood ran cold while texting one message back. 

"Hi mom"

One text that would unleash a sea of responses almost immediately. Thousands of notifications made your phone buzz non-stop. All of them angry responses from your mother, asking what had you been doing and why you haven't been answering. In other words: you were fucked. What type of excuse could you say so you wouldn't die that day? Maybe saying that you were injured would do som, but, that's even worst! Then why you didn't texted your family? Nor emergencies? It looked like the options were not really open. 

Well, that was the day you were going to die apparently. The night before had been so unrealistic that it almost felt like a dream, a really vivid one. The only thing that secured that you weren't imagining things was that dammed injury. 

"Hey mom sorry, I sprained my ankle and my phone was upstairs. I couldn't walk, sorry"

Maybe that would be believable, or at least would reduce the sentence? Anyhow,  that message looked to work, the notifications started slowing down until there were none. You took a quick glance on your phone, to see a text saying; "We will talk later."

At least you had a couple hours until then, you sighed in relief and tried to stand up. The ankle was still swelling, but at least you could walk a few steps. You rushed downstairs, leaning on any wall you could see trying not to fall. 

Entering the kitchen, you opened the fridge and grabbed a bag of cold, iced peas. That would work for now. You sighed and made your way to the living room. Sat on the couch, and turned on the TV. You needed to clear your mind after last night, it felt surreal.

Now you were alone, your parents still weren't home and your only friend wasn't there. Great. You decided to call your parents and try to solve things before them coming home. You dialed your mom's number and tried to video call your family. After a while, they finally responded.

"Well, you FINALLY decided to talk to us."  Your mom yelled.

"Hi mom... Are you guys coming home?" 

"Not yet, but that's not important. HOW did you broke your leg?"  Mom recalled furiously "Are you really bad hurt?!"

"Mom it's alright, I didn't broke my leg, I just sprained my ankle." 

"I am very worried about you, not even a month and you already are hurt. What are we going to do with you now?"

"Well—Sorry... I didn't want to get hurt..."

"You are always saying sorry, never doing anything. Bet you even didn't do the chores. Why can't you just be a good daughter for once?!"

Your hands started shaking, and an immense desire to cry took over you. 

"I—I'm sorry it wasn't my fault—" Your voice cracked.

"It's never your fault. We'll talk later, your father just called someone. Bye."

Click...

Right after the call was finished, you just stared at your phone. A tear dropped down and ran through the phone screen. You washed out your face, trying to ignore what your mother just said about you. Maybe it was just nothing. Even though she always said stuff like that... Should be used to it by now. But, that hurt more than usual.

"It's not me, it's them."  You repeated to yourself while rubbing your eyes. "But... Why does it hurt, then?"

You removed the pack of iced peas from your feet, it looked less swollen than before, at least. You decided to put a bandage on it, surely there was at least one around the house. You walked to the bathroom and opened a cabinet, in where there were a pair of bandaids and the bandage needed. 

"Bingo." 

_________________________________________________

Some hours later, you were sitting on the couch, when the door abruptly opened.

"We are here!"  Your brother screamed while entering first "I need the tv."

"What? No way—"

"You had been here this whole time, watching it. You need to give it to your brother." Mom said while giving you a cold stare.

"But he has it almost every day!"  You argued back.

"Give it to him, I'm not asking if he had it every other day, I'm saying that you give it to him."

"Fine... Where's dad?"

"He's with the insurance. He will come later." Your mom called "Now, let me see that... 'injury' of yours."

You showed the bandaged ankle, she just sighed. "Why can't you just be calm?" .

No words came out of your moth, you just looked at the floor. Even though you couldn't  see your mother's face, you could feel the disappointment in it.

"You are just about going to get in a high school here, do you really want this to be your first impression?"  She argued "How will you make friends?"

"...I had friends back—"

"We are not there anymore. You should be grateful we are living in a house like this. Your father and I had gone through a lot for you to be ungrateful as always, why can't you be more like your brother?"

She kept lecturing you, but it didn't matter anymore. It was always the same, almost same words, you had it memorized by now. But it didn't matter, it still hurt.

"...When I'm starting classes?"  You asked with your head low.

"Next week, be ready. This weekend we will buy everything."

You nodded with your head and adjusted the bandage. Everything will be okay, you repeated while thinking the possibilities of entering a new school with new people and new, well, everything.

The lecture kept going until your father finally arrived. By that time, your mother had send you to your room. Nothing could be really done.

You rolled on your bed, without nothing to do. The though of last night stood there with you. When you remembered —Ben! You didn't had talked to him the whole day. Maybe he could talk for a bit, at least. You tried to text him via cleverbot—nothing. Generic responses, like last time. You sighed, and looked out of the window. Something seem familiar about it. Of course, its your window, but maybe it was something else.

Anyhow, school was starting soon. A total new school, new people, new everything. It was surely going to be something.