Chapter 25

Amelia looked down. She screamed out of comfort. Alice turned to look at the gate. The truck was parked next to sidewalk and just near the gate. Alice saw Amelia's mom climb out of the pickup truck. She turned the truck off and saw her daughter being hung with a harness. Amelia's mother was very shocked. Alice looked at the crane cab. Amelia's mother opened it. The crane arm slowly swiveled back above the dirt lot. She looked at Alice. "What are you doing?!" She asked. Alice still down on the ground, felt a little intimidated by her. Amelia's mother held out her hand. Alice grabbed it and helped back up. "Are you responsible for having my daughter being put in danger?" She demanded. Before Alice could explain herself, a hoarse and yet angry voice spoke into her ear. "NO! I did it you bossy breath!" Amelia's mother looked around. She didn't knew where the voice came from. While the crane was still running, Alice had her mouth opened. "What is it? Are you pulling some kind of sick joke on my daughter?" Amelia's mother questioned. Alice pointed her finger at the crane.

Amelia's mother turned to look at the crane and saw the ghost of James. She jumped back. "Who are you? A hologram?" She wondered. Angry, James rushed up to her and shouted with a hoarse voice. "Do you think this is a joke? You left me to die here! And your daughter is just as bad as you are!" James shouted. "Now listen here, I don't need people like you..." Amelia's mother started to talk back. The ghost instead grabbed her by the front of the shirt. He hauled her as high as the highest steel girder. Alice watched while on the ground. "A while ago, you did supervise the construction of this failed project." James explained. "I know that. It was a failed project to begin with." Amelia's mother replied. James shouted angrily at her. He let go of her shirt. Amelia's mom screamed as she tumbled. Amelia hung in her harness watching her mother fall helplessly. Alice ran to the spot where she was about to fall but stopped. A mysterious force stopped her from falling any further. "This construction project was a failure thanks to you." James snapped as he had her brought back up to a space of air near the highest horizontal steel girder. "Do I know you?" Amelia's mother asked. "You should know me. I was a hard working construction worker. I did my part to ensure that this construction project would be a helping hand for the community. My name is James. Does that ring a bell to you, or do I have to drop you again?" James explained her. Amelia's mother looked back at the ground. Then she looked at her daughter in the harness. "Alright, I do remember you. I did steal your lunch kit and ruined it." She admitted. The ghost wasn't sure if she was truly sorry for leaving him buried under the cement. "Why did you paint over my lunch kit? Did you wanted the money that was being used in the construction of this small mall?".

Now the ghost was angrier than ever. Amelia's mother didn't want him to let her drop onto the dirt below. "Alright, I painted over your lunch kit because I wanted to keep it as my own. I did throw the food out of it into the garbage can." Amelia listened to her mother's words. She felt a little surprised and a little sore at her. "Where's the money you stole?" The ghost yelled. At any moment he was going to let Amelia's mom drop from his hands. Tears poured out of her eyes. "Stop being a crybaby and tell me where you put the money you stole?!" The ghost screamed. He was only holding onto the front collar of her shirt by two fingers. Not wanting to fall to the ground again, Amelia took a quick breath. "Alright, you're right. I did mess the construction project up. I did wanted the money. I was going to use it for a Christmas vacation for my husband and daughter. The mess ups I did to the construction site were cheaper than actually finishing the project." The ghost glared upsettingly at her. He lowered her to the ground. James let go of the front collar. The jackhammer was on the edge of the concrete base. A pair of hearing protectors was found next to the piece of machinery. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She uttered. "Not as sorry as you're going to be." James said. The crane arm swiveled away from the steel girder structure. It was about to smash the three kids into one of the horizontal girders. Alice wanted to stop him. The crane arm swung back at the steel structure. The three kids were about to crash. "Stop! Don't hurt Amelia! Please, I'll do anything!" Amelia's mother pleaded as her tears hit the concrete foundation. The crane arm stopped. Liam, Rosalie, and Amelia swung while being attached to the crane hook with their harnesses. "You will confess to your crime, now." The ghost demanded. The video tape was ready for recording. "Tell the people at the construction company what you did and why you did it. Or I will hurt your bratty excuse for a daughter." James declared. "James! Please, don't hurt them." Alice reasoned. James' turned around and face Alice. A pair of ear protectors were covering her ears. Alice could feel herself floating in the air. Alice was lightly thrown into the crane. The laptop disappeared from inside the cab. The crane cab door slammed itself shut. Alice watched as Amelia's mother was videotaped. She talked about murdering James, and why she did it. Then the ghost told her to drill his body out from the concrete. The ghost had the laptop floating nearby. He had the video uploaded to the construction company's website. Alice looked up at Liam, Amelia, and Rosalie. They still felt scared after what happened to them. The ghost looked at Alice. Then he looked at the three kids hanging from the crane hook. Ear protectors were put over their ears. The jackhammer was turned on. Amelia's mother used the jackhammer on a space of concrete. James voice could be heard in her left ear. "Thank you Alice. You've reminded me of the good man I am. I will let these kids go. They will be better behaved in the future." Alice watched as James disappeared for the last time. The crane line slowly lowered Liam, Amelia, and Rosalie until their feet touched the dirt. Alice saw that there were some flashing red and blue lights from the street.