Hanging Tree

Maya POV

"Looking for someone?" A familiar voice asked from behind me. I turned around to see a smirking Nick.

"No, I'm just walking around looking to see if any counselors need help." I said lying but Nick is my best friend and he knows me well when I'm lying to him, "Oh so you weren't looking for a certain red head that's been causing trouble since the first day of camp." He sarcastically asked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up." I said annoyed Nick chuckles, "Relax I'm just kidding. I'll help you look for-"

Nick stops mid-sentence when we hear an scream. I furrowed my eyebrows the scream sounded familiar. My eyes widened in fear when I realized it was Ziggy screaming.

"She's in trouble." I told him and took off running. I hear Kurt calling Nick and I name but the both of us ignore him and kept running to the direction we're the screams are coming from.

Finally arriving were the screaming is coming from I gasped at the sight of Ziggy tied up to a tree.

Third POV

The sound of a whistle blowing made Sheila and her goons look up to see Maya, Nick, and Kurt running their way.

"Shit! Will it's you're brother and cousin."

"What the hell is this! Let her down." Maya yelled.

"Maya, Nick, I can explain." Will said letting go of Ziggy legs and standing up, "Let her down, Will! I swear to god I'll tell mom." Nick warned him.

Will let Ziggy down from the tree Maya ran over to help Ziggy stand up but she pushes Maya's hand away not wanting any help from a Sunnyvale especially from a Goode. Nick frowned at the sight he knew how much Maya liked the Berman girl hell sometimes he even thought that his cousin is in love with Ziggy, he just hates seeing Maya getting hurt.

Maya and Nick stood beside the tree as Kurt lined the rest and paced back and forth listening to Sheila explain why they hung Ziggy.

"I went back to my cabin, the door was open. The next thing I know all my money was gone and Ziggy was sprinting away." Sheila explained, "Because you were chasing me." Ziggy exclaimed.

"Ziggy! You talk when I tell you to talk." Kurt scolded.

Nick glanced over at Maya to see her clenching her fists he leaned down to whisper, "Calm down you don't want make the situation worse."

Ziggy rolls her eyes annoyed.

"Did you see her take it?" Nick asked his hands on his hips. Maya glanced at Ziggy who looked annoyed.

"Everyone did." Will said as he looked at Ziggy.

"Alright. Well, that's it, Berman. Five strikes. You're out." Kurt said putting his whistle back around his neck.

Maya looked at Kurt in disbelief Maya opened her mouth to defend Ziggy but Nick grabs her hand and shakes his head.

"I'm out? They just tried to murder me?" Ziggy yelled, "Yeah and I'll deal with them. But first, go back to camp, call Mommy because you're done at Nightwing." Kurt ordered.

"I didn't do it." Ziggy said again making Kurt scoffed, "Oh yeah? Just like you didn't set the camp flag on fire? Or let out the camp rabbits? Or graffiti the outhouse stalls? I warned you-"

"Everyone graffitis the outhouse stalls." Maya muttered.

"Kurt." Sheila interrupts him, "It's not her fault, really. She's possessed by Sarah Fier." Sheila said with that annoying smile.

"Oh you..."

"HEY! HEY! HEY!"

Nick let's go of Maya hand and Maya quickly runs towards Ziggy and wraps her arms behind Ziggy waist to prevent her from attacking Sheila even though Sheila deserves it. Maya looked at Kurt as Ziggy tired to escape from Maya's hold.

"Look we kick her out somebody's gonna ask about the burn mark on her arm. Then who's in trouble? Huh?" Maya said hoping it change Kurt mind.

"Why don't we just let this one slide?" Nick said agreeing with his older cousin. Kurt stayed silent for a moment, "Alright. One more strike and you're out for real. You hear me, Berman? One more." Kurt warned.

Ziggy shoved Maya off her, "Being bossed around by a Goode." She said looking at Maya and Nick, "Wow, some things never change." Ziggy says walking away from the Sunnyvalers wanting to get far away from them especially from Maya.

Maya looks at Nick who motions her to go after Ziggy. Maya runs after Ziggy and manages to catch up to her in the camp entrance. Maya slowed down.

"Hey." Maya said unaware of Ziggy rolling her eyes at the sound of Maya's voice. She despised Sunnyvalers but when it came to Maya she wanted her far away. She just couldn't stand Maya at all.

"You should probably have Nurse Lane check that burn out." Maya suggested worriedly as she grabbed Ziggy arm and frowned at the sight of the burn Sheila left on Ziggy.

Ziggy pulled her arm away from Maya's hold, "No I think I'm just gonna let it get infected and die." Ziggy tells her.

"What? You're not gonna thank me?" Maya asked. Ziggy stops walking and looks at Maya, "Oh! I'm sorry, I forgot! Thank you, Queen of Sunnyvale, future Police Chief Maya Goode, for rescuing poor, helpless Shadysider me! How could I ever repay you two? Oh, I know. I'll just bat my eyes at you like all the other dumbass guys.

Nick frowned watching as Ziggy flipped Maya off and walked away leaving Maya alone. Nick sighed and walked towards Maya and pulled her into a side hug.

Check out my TikTok themadmaxzoomer we're I post edits of my books