VIII

He now knew why the centre was so crowded when he and Mina went shopping. It seemed that overnight the Tribe went from its usual activities to preparing for the winter festival. People were decorating the castle with colours of red and gold and green and blue, everyone was showing off the clothes they had brought or made and the smell of food being made was present at all hours. From the window he could see carts going to and fro, people putting up wreaths on their front doors and, which did surprise him at first, people started appearing smothered in red paint that looked like blood.

He asked about it during breakfast, and Sero explained that the dragons the tribes were descended from came from the Crimson Mountains, a special volcanic area inaccessible to humans where dragons lived centuries ago. The colour red symbolises their strength and power, and that's why royals like Bakugou wear something red, like his cape. 

Todoroki had always despised the colour red. From his father's red hair and red flames, to half of his own appearance forever marred and ugly. But here, the red was deep and warm and welcoming, and when he looked closer at the red bands encircling Kirishima's biceps he could admit the designs were quite beautiful.

One day before the winter festival, Midoriya asked him if he had anything to wear. Shoto didn't, for he wasn't exactly intending to go to the festivities that would be littered throughout Bikarin. People from all tribes gathered for the celebrations, and if someone happened to recognise him he didn't want to ruin this special occasion for them. He also had no idea that he was allowed to go, seeming as he didn't come from one of the Tribes. 

"But why on earth wouldn't you be invited?" he asked bewilderingly, eyes wide with confusion before dragging him from his room and to another. 

It was a large closet essentially, with wardrobes and rows of clothes, all seemingly for the winter festival. Having already brought clothes he didn't see the need in borrowing more, but Midoriya didn't seem to hear his protests as his head was stuck in one wardrobe whilst he was discussing all the possible options. He must have been standing there waiting for around five minutes before the head of green hair emerged and Midoriya was holding up a set of clothes with a big grin on his face.

"I don't know what your sizes are but I think they'll be fine! Oh, and Mina says to go to her room first thing tomorrow morning so she can decorate you!"

"Decorate?" He was a person, not a room or a tree, why would he need to be decorated?

"Not like that." Midoriya laughed, as if knowing his thoughts from his confused expression. "You know, paint and jewels and make-up, everyone is gonna be dressed up to their best! So you should too!"

"This is all very kind of you Midoriya," Shoto began when the man shut the door behind them; he looked down at the clothes in his arms before continuing, "I'm just not sure if..." he frowned, unsure of how to express his many thoughts.

"Not sure what?" Midoriya asked, smile gentle and encouraging.

Shoto sighed. "I've never been to a festival." he settled on, pushing away everything else to think about later.

"Then it's much more important that you do come! It'll be fun, trust me!"

Over dinner, Midoriya told him all about the work he had been doing in the Tribes. Recently he had been going around to the different farmers and asking people what things they thought could be improved in the farmlands. Since soon the lands would be frozen and infertile, it was a great time to consider making new changes when the new crops were let in in spring. He also spent a whole morning with a flock of sheep, assessing their hooves and coats to make sure they would be okay in the winter weather. It seemed Midoriya did everything from agriculture to architecture studies, wanting the best for the Tribes' people. Shoto admired how much Midoriya cared about his home, and wondered if once upon a time his father held the same devotion towards his kingdom before his thoughts were consumed by desire.