XXIX

When he woke for the second time, he was met not with Midoriya but with Aizawa. The man was standing and looking outside the window, watching people move to and fro through the cold winter weather. From Shoto's view he could not yet see snow, meaning they had one more day to spare before his father arrived. He must have sighed at the thought, for Aizawa looked over to him and greeted him with his attempt at a smile. 

"Can't keep yourself out of trouble, huh kid?"

"Sorry." Shoto replied quietly, pushing himself up once more. His body felt more rested and energised after sleeping, but his mind was still heavy with the thought of what he would be doing very shortly. 

"The problem children are already with the criminal, I'm here to take you there once you're ready."

Shoto wanted to say that he didn't need a guard, but he knew he would face opposition from several parties if he did. Plus, he had no idea where criminals were kept here, if there were holding cells or even a dungeon in the castle. It would be beneficial to have Aizawa with him. The man said he would wait outside whilst Shoto got ready, shutting the door quietly on the way out. 

His legs shook for a moment, numb from days of bed rest, but he managed to make his way around the room with ease. He washed and dressed, drank a large glass of crisp water which helped to clear his head slightly, and made sure to put on an extra layer before leaving, grabbing the navy blue cloak with fur trim that he'd had since shopping with Mina but was yet to wear. Before leaving he took several deep and slow breaths, calming his mind and schooling his expression before opening the door and joining Aizawa.

The walk was quiet as Aizawa led him to where Bakugou, Midoriya and his attempted murderer were waiting. He wondered how long it had been since he arrived back in Bikarin, where he and Mic were settled in the castle and if there had been any meetings whilst he was asleep. 

"You know, kid, his majesty has been quiet all over the place these past couple of days." Aizawa began, his tone teasing in his nickname for Bakugou.

"He has?" Shoto replied. "Have there been any meetings? Has he made any plans?"

"Ah, there have been attempts at meetings and strategising with the elders and the elite warriors that have gathered from across the tribes. But that's not what I'm referring to."

"No?"

"I led most of those meetings, Bakugou preferred to stay silent and glare at anyone whose ideas he believed were ridiculous. I am surprised at his lack of yelling, rumour is he's working on reigning in that temper of his."

"I see..." He was glad Bakugou was trying to keep his promise of being less angry and violent, even if that was the way his natural temperament leaned towards. But then... "Then why is he all over the place if not at meetings and talks?" What did that expression mean?

"His mind is all over the place." Aizawa explained. "Too many things going on up there." He tapped his temple just before reaching out and opening the main entrance doors to the castle for Shoto to pass through. 

"Like what?" he asked, thanking the gesture with a nod of his head. 

Aizawa gave him a long look, their walk halting for several moments before the man sighed and ran a hand through his hair, muttering something about children. They continued their walk, and Shoto waited for Aizawa to respond to his question, trying to keep himself occupied from thinking about their destination. 

"Like you." Aizawa spoke at last, as if he couldn't find any other way to express his thoughts. "You gave him quite a scare, the rest of us too."

"Ah, I'm sorry. I should have been more careful and reacted quicker."