LVIX

During Katsuki and Midoriya's training that evening, Shoto could sense the tension coming from his friends. From the way Midoriya sometimes stammered with his words, something that Shoto had not heard for many weeks as of late as his friend was slowly growing in confidence around everyone, and the tension in Katsuki's shoulders. He watched from the sidelines, sometimes stepping in to help when he was needed, but mostly remained quiet and lost in thought. 

Once training was over, Katsuki came over to him and silently held out his hand, Shoto taking it without a second thought and letting the king lead him back up to his quarters. As warm and welcoming as usual, Katsuki went over to his bed and fell atop it in a manner much like Denki or Kirishima, Shoto following suit on the other side. It was quiet between, Shoto watching Katsuki take deep breaths with his eyes shut, his muscles slowly relaxing.

"This okay?" Katsuki asked, opening his eyes and looking at Shoto who hummed in reply. "The air was so fucking tense today, 'specially at dinner. Which you fucking missed." He added with a glare.

"I took a walk. But Kirishima brought me some food." Shoto replied, relaxing more onto the bed despite still wearing his boots. Such an action would have been considered most uncivilised in Endeavour, but it didn't seem like Katsuki particularly cared right now. 

"It was a good idea from Eyebags to get everyone to eat together. Community bonds and all that shit."

"Was that a compliment?" Shoto asked, faking a tone of shock. "And here I thought you despised everyone I wrote to."

"Shut up." Bakugou huffed, lightly pushing at Shoto's shoulder before ruffling up his hair, the red and white now undoubtedly mixed together. It was such a boyish thing to do, entirely ridiculous considering the circumstance, but Shoto felt himself giving a small smile in return anyways.

"Thank you for trying to get along with them." Shoto said.

"I'm a king, it's good to have allies for my people. But it doesn't mean I like having a bunch of strangers in my home. Eyebags gets on my nerves and that Tokoyami guy just stares silently, it's fucking creepy. And Rich girl and her guard keep making shitty eyes at each other, it's disgusting."

"Shitty eyes?" He asked, tone confused. He had never seen his friends make any sort of vulgar face at each other before.

"They're fucking in love with each other, idiot." Katsuki groaned, but his face did not show any annoyance towards him.

"Oh. Yes, I know that." It was true that his friends held feelings for each other, but due to their positions in society their relationship was forbidden. This was on top of the fact that Momo's parents insisted on finding her a husband, and Shoto wasn't sure if his friends knew their feelings were reciprocated. Shoto had known for some time that the connection between Momo and Jirou was different to the one between Momo and himself, and seeing relationships like Kirishima and Mina's had helped him understand. "But what about their expressions is dislikable or vulgar? They are quite fond of each other."

"Moron." Katsuki huffed, ruffling his hair again, Shoto grabbing his arm and pushing it away only to have himself pulled a little bit closer. "You're so stupid sometimes, you know that?"

"It's not my fault I was isolated from wider society for most of my childhood." Shoto retorted. "Besides, I can just ask you these things when I am confused, right?"

Katsuki was quiet for a moment, looking at where Shoto's hand rested above his forearm before looking up at his face. "Yeah, you can."

"And..." Shoto continued before pausing, frowning as he considered his words. Katsuki waited for him to collect himself. "Can I ask you these things afterwards? When the war is over? Even if..." He trailed off, mind wandering to those negative thoughts where maybe things did not go so well and he was taken back to-