XCIV

The room held a tense silence as Shoto looked upon himself in the mirror. He had worn plenty of expensive clothes in his life, but never did he think he would find himself admiring his own reflection, that he could look at himself adorned in golden embroidered clothes and think himself worthy of his royal title.

In fitted trousers perfectly tailored to show off his long legs, a pristine white with golden threaded seams that matched his high-collared white shirt, a navy blue tunic that draped down to his ankles embossed with a row of golden buttons woven between intricate patterns down the front seam that split at the waist, a burgundy sash with golden thread woven through and secured around his middle. Gleaming black boots that would undoubtedly reflect the dozens of lit chandeliers in the ballroom, black leather around his wrists with imprints of the crests of the kingdoms of Yuaria, and his navy blue cloak with golden fringe around the shoulders, small threads of deep red scattered throughout as they fell from the gold metal shoulder plates. Each seam, each edge, every part of the fabric he wore was crafted with such detail and consideration, showing not only his power but his vision for his kingdom. 

He had asked Momo to style his hair, leaving it carefully parted and soft, the volume making his face look brighter. She had also apparently taken some advice from Mina and added a touch of pink to his lips and cheeks, a slight silver shimmer on his eyelids. To finish, he added the earrings Katsuki gave him, the diamonds looking more beautiful than ever before as he tilted his head in front of the small looking glass. When he was finished and took to the small pedestal Miss Uwabami had brought with her, looking at himself in the large mirror against the wall, he couldn't help but find his breath trapped in his throat for a moment. Not only at the sight in front of him, the almost disbelief that it was indeed himself that he was looking at, but that this day had finally arrived. 

A shaky breath caught his attention, and he turned his gaze from the glass and to his friend who was dabbing carefully under her eyes so as to not damage the careful canvas of colours she had delicately put on her eyelids. Her eyes were gleaming and a wide smile graced her features.

"Oh Shoto," she sighed, "you look wonderful."

"A king to be proud of." Miss Uwabami agreed, her eyes also glassy in the bright morning rays. 

"Thank you both, truly." He spoke sincerely, holding one hand to his chest and the other behind his back in a formal bow, doing so slowly so as not to ruin the two women's careful work.  

Momo laughed, dabbing at her eyes once more before saying how everyone will trip over their feet when they see him, so overcome with his beauty that they would faint. Shoto shook his head at her joke, knowing that even in this gentle moment she knew how nervous he was underneath his kingly robes. 

After a few final adjustments, one look at the clock revealed that all of the guests would soon be entering the coronation hall and it was time for him to walk down with Momo. Miss Uwabami promised to be in the front pew to watch. The coronation hall was only used for such an occasion as its name suggested, nestled into the back of the castle so that the stained glass windows on the far wall cast colourful patterns upon the hall, golden light cascading onto the steps where Shoto would bow to receive his crown, onto the throne he would sit upon when declared king of Endeavour. The pews were made of the deepest brown walnut and polished to perfection along with the latticed windows that lined the sides of the hall. Chandeliers hung from a mosaic ceiling, highlighting the infinite swirls and patterns upon the white marble floor, upon which a burgundy red carpet would be laid for him to walk towards the throne. 

Shoto knew that the pews would be full of both nobles and all of the city folk who arrived early for the event. There would be even more people filling the rest of the space between the pews and the walls and a small crowd gathering at the back. There was a balcony above the entrance hall for more guests, upon which red velvet seats in three rows were set. Imagining the amount of people all watching him receive the crown, listening intently whilst he made his vows, and bowing before him upon the priest's announcement of his ascension, did not help decrease his nervousness, and in that moment wished for all of his friends and his siblings were there to support him. But he knew they would be right at the front of the congregation, representing their kingdoms and showing support for him, and he could not be more grateful.