XXIV

They trained together for a while longer until Kirishima arrived, cheeks red from the cold breeze that swept the land that afternoon. Since both partners wanted to work on their blade skills, Shoto spent time teaching them more about vital points and key movements with the blades of their preference. Kirishima had strong stature, so Shoto encouraged him to move with confidence so as to intimidate the warriors who, under Enji's reign, did not feel settled around big, hulking, and angry men. With Mina, Shoto showed her stretches that would improve her flexibility, already impressed by the natural ease with which she jumped, rolled and flipped. Her unique style would put off the soldiers, allowing Mina to quickly disarm them. 

Whilst teaching, he reminded them that they were not to kill another person, not unless it was completely unavoidable. It was best to disarm or incapacitate; he didn't want the people here to become mindless murderers like some of Enji's elite, and secret, guards. Kirishima asked about how his father's army worked, if anyone had powers like he and Shoto. He knew of several soldiers who had powers, but he was unsure whether they would be fighting as they were still in the midst of their training. 

First was Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu. Both Kirishima and Mina snorted a laugh at the name. He could harden his whole body into steel, using it both as a defence and to increase the strength of his direct combat attacks. He had joined the guard only recently, but was favoured for his strength. Kirishima used his power, fists clenched and hard as rock, determination rolling off of him in waves. 

Second was Inasa Yoarashi, a soldier who could control the wind. He was loud, passionate, and dedicated to his duty due to his family's long history amongst Enji's closest guards. He himself wasn't as fond of the king, but his passion for the Endeavour kingdom meant he would fight vigorously. From a small breeze to a vicious whirlwind, he was a dangerous threat. Shoto and Inasa did not get along at first, but trained often together after understanding each other's mutual distaste for the king. They were not friends, but maybe on the battlefield Shoto could switch Inasa over to their side; he had considered writing the man a letter, but his close proximity to his father meant a high risk of it being intercepted. 

Third was Ibara Shiozaki, a spiritual warrior dedicated to preserving the world the Goddess granted them. She was strong yet gentle, using the fewest attacks to the highest degree. Her power lay in her hair, which she could contort into vines as thick as wood to do her bidding. She worked best in long-distance combat, and would likely need a small group of their own warriors to incapacitate her. 

There were others with powers in the various ranks of soldiers, but none held such power that Shoto could remember them. The three he mentioned were definitely threats they needed cooperation and strategy to overcome; he hoped his research would be useful in this task. 

In turn, Kirishima and Mina told him about people they knew in the Tribes with gifts. Of course there were Kirishima and Denki, Bakugou too, but they also mentioned a female called Kinoko Komori who could sprout mushrooms that knocked people unconscious; she was from the Akrina tribe like Mina. The other was a warrior who lived in Bikarin named Tsuyu Asui. She had frog-like features, giving her the ability to jump and climb, to stick to walls and ceilings, and to camouflage into her surroundings. Her tongue was also strong and able to carry many people at once. Their powers sounded strong and unique, giving them the element of surprise over Enji's soldiers. Shoto knew about powers amongst the soldiers, and the warriors in the Tribes, meaning he knew more than his father, meaning he could manipulate the battlefield to be in their favour. 

They trained for a while longer, Shoto watching Mina and Kirishima have a duel before it was decided they should eat dinner. Shoto inquired as to when Midoriya would return, having many questions he wanted to ask him, and Kirishima believed he should be back the following afternoon. It was good timing, as he soon wanted to start strategy talks and training with the whole group of Edalian warriors in the short time before the day of battle. Two months was not long, especially to train warriors who quite possibly had little real-life battle experience, but he would persist until the day he faced his father arrived.