LXXV

Even though he woke early, Shoto didn't attempt to leave the bed so soon. He basked in the present moment, of Katsuki's warmth and comforting sweet scent, of the sounds of nature awakening beyond the open windows, and the spring sun that blessed them with her presence today. Everything felt peaceful and calm, and despite an ache or two in his body it was the most relaxed he had been in days. However, the bittersweet aura the day carried on the gentle breeze that drifted through the bedroom eventually made him push the covers off of him and awaken Katsuki, who insisted they bathe together before getting ready to face the day ahead of them. 

There wasn't much conversation between them, both focused on embracing the presence of the other as they dressed for the day, then heading to Shoto's room before breakfast to make sure all of his possessions were packed. Despite there being few, he had gathered a small collection of things from his time here, from simple clothes when shopping with Mina to precious stones gifted to him by Kirishima. He assured everything was secured in his luggage and it was left in a pile by his door to be taken down when he and Iida departed later that morning.

The same bittersweet taste permeated both food and conversation during breakfast, a melancholy aura that lingered despite everyone's best efforts to stay happy and focus on their futures together. Mina was once more discussing how exciting it would be to visit Shoto's kingdom, and that she and Momo would help with his coronation outfits. Midoriya gifted him a notebook in which he had written observations and tips that could help Shoto with his power, especially his fire. 

"It's a gift," Midoriya reminded him when he placed the small notebook in his hands carefully, "don't forget that." And how could Shoto forget his first friend, and the smiles he had graced him with.

"Thankyou Midoriya, I will treasure it."

Even Kirishima made the effort to eat slower during the meal, joining in all conversations in the hopes of extending his stay a moment longer. Katsuki ate the same as ever, and made a continuous practice of putting more food on Shoto's plate, eyeing him until he rolled his eyes and ate a mouthful dramatically.

"He's not gonna wither away on the journey." Sero teased Katsuki. "Slow down a little, 'kay?"

"Fuck off." Katsuki huffed, flipping Sero the bird to which his friend was quick to return the gesture. It made Shoto smile, seeing all of the friendships, old and new, that surrounded him. He looked forwards to having more meals together in the future, and it was an amusing thought imagining Katsuki sitting through an eight-course meal in Endeavour, where there were rules and manners and all things the man detested. And, well, if the man did spill the wine, there would be no raging flames as punishment. 

It was Iida who at last announced it was time he and Shoto departed with their soldiers back to Endeavour. The trip was short, and the weather was predicted to be cool and clear, the spring sun warming them during their journey, and so it was best to leave now and not to tempt fate. Shoto sighed but agreed, and the sound of plates clanking and chairs scraping echoed throughout the hall as everyone scattered into the entryway. Shoto looked up at the great arching doors, wondering how long it would be until he passed through them again. 

The castle halls were busy with soldiers checking their supplies, horses being fed and watered, and Shoto's things hauled onto one of their carts. He insisted on helping, but he was ushered back to his friends who all now had their hands full.

"We wanted to give you some things to remember us by, so we can still be with you even if we're far apart. I know it's only a few days' journey, just over a week in the worst of weather, but you're gonna be so busy..." Mina explained before holding out the small box in her hands. "Me first!"

Shoto took the box carefully. It was small, oak, with little carvings all around. He opened it to find three small bottles and a little brush nestled in brown leather, each varying shades of blue.