XIX

They set off on the journey back to the castle at first light, Midoriya thanking the elders profusely for their help, Shoto standing unsure next to him. He did give a brief bow before ascending the carriage; taking one last look at the beautiful monastery, stone a pretty gold bathed in the morning sun, they headed back. The weather was cool, the sharp breeze a slight sting against his cheeks; he was thankful Midoriya was thoughtful when packing for he had a spare scarf that settled the raised hairs at the back of his neck. 

Just like the previous journey, Midoriya talked and talked until he ran out of things to say, Shoto nodding and asking a question here and there to show he was listening. He was glad to have joined Midoriya on the trip, learning lots about the history and culture of the Tribes and understanding a little more about their way of life. In any case, he didn't feel so out of place here anymore.

They arrived at the castle by the time the sun was shining in full glory in the sky, even if it was hidden by the merging clouds signalling a dismal day ahead. Sero saw them in passing and waved to them in greeting, and Shoto was surprised to see that Mina was waiting for them when the carriage pulled to a stop in front of the castle entrance. 

"You boys sure took your time!" She tried to sound annoyed, but the bright smile on her face gave her true feelings away. "How did you find the elders?" Mina asked Shoto, arm linking with hers as she walked him into the castle with a quick hello to Midoriya. 

"I only spoke to one."

"I see, I see. Don't they all dress rather plain?"

"I don't mind."

Mina only chuckled, asking him a few more questions about his trip as they went to her room. Upon arriving Mina said that she felt sad she hadn't spent much time with Shoto these past few days, and that it would be fun to hang out with him again. He didn't really know why she sought him out above all people, he wasn't exactly the most engaging conversationalist and didn't know what she spoke of half the time, but he did feel warmth in his chest as she gave him an already brewed pot of tea as they sat on her bed.

"How are you?" Shoto asked after Mina seemed to finish talking. "I know the news from my... from Enji wasn't pleasant to hear."

She gave him a soft smile, patting his hand as she looked out of the window with a sigh. 

"Nobody likes war. Our home has been at peace for so long, and there is so much we have made and built here. But like Bakugou says, this war has been a long time coming, so we'll fight to best protect ourselves in any way we can!"

"Hm, I'm sorry for what's to come."

"It's not your fault, Shoto. You can't change who your father is, but you're certainly not like him. I'm kinda glad you're on this side rather than stuck next to him. We've got your back, through and through!"

"Thank you." He replied quietly, looking at his shaking reflection in his tea, the subtle floral scent easing his never-ceasing headache."

"Anyways, let's do something fun! That's why I wanted to spend time with you, Shoto!"

He watched Mina wander around her room, rifling through shelves and opening drawers in search of something. Her efforts came to an end when she pulled out a bag woven from purple threads, clinking sounds coming from inside. She sat back down and spilled the contents onto her bed, a rainbow of colours greeting him.

"Have you ever painted your nails?" She asked, already picking out different shades and holding them against his skin. He put his empty cup down so she could hold his hands. Hers were smaller than his, her nails painted pink and purple, but they were calloused from years of effort and hard work.