It Will Be Our Thing

"Red, pink, or cream?" Someone said as I lay face down on my soft and flower-scented pillows. Since it was a Friday night, I really didn't want to leave the house. I'd rather grab a bowl of popcorn and smother myself with buttery, cheesy goodness. However, I cannot, since this is the first night where I'd have to socialize and smile politely for hours and hours to people I don't even know.

"Or green?" Oh yeah, mom's talking to me. I rolled on the bed so that I could see what the hell she was talking about.

"Hey! You have to help me choose! Stop laying down, we have to leave at 6 pm. Come on!", mom said, pushing me towards the end of my bed.

"Well, definitely NO to pink, mom." Oh god. I hate wearing pink, especially dresses. Makes me look super girly and sweet and bleh. I definitely don't want to look like that tonight.

"So red then?" Mom fished out of my cabinet a red tube dress with a black ribbon wrapped around the waist.

"Oh come on mom. The last thing I want to happen is grabbing the attention of every body. I DO NOT want to stand out in that environment. I can't wear that, it even looks like a prom dress!"

Mom rolled her eyes and said, "So it's the cream one then?"

I nodded.

"Well you could've just told me that a little earlier!" Haha, I know right? I just didn't to dress up yet. "Come on wear it now!"

I went inside the bathroom and slipped on my cream-colored dress. This was actually my favorite of all my dresses. Not that I love wearing dresses. It's a flowy dress at the bottom, only up to my knees, and on the top part it had a sweetheart neckline, but no, it's not a tube dress. It is actually covered with lace up to the sleeves that reached my wrist. A dress that could expose some of my chest and back, but not that exposed. Conservative here. I put a thin black ribbon around my waist to add another color. I went out of the room and saw that my mom was already finished! Done with her dress, make up and hair.

"Wooow! You look beautiful honey, wait 'til he sees you."

"Wait, what?"

"Your Uncle and his family, and your dad," mom said as she prepared her make-up set and brushes.

"But you said h-",

"Come on sit down now, we only have about 30 minutes before they arrive!"

——

I was sitting on the couch watching TV when I heard the doorbell. "I'll get it!", I shouted, since my mom and dad were still upstairs fixing and finishing some stuff. I opened the door and saw Uncle Joe standing there looking sharp with his tux.

"Wooooow. Well look at you young lady! You look ravishing."