A Sign From The Universe

8:15 am, Wednesday

I woke up still feeling tired as ever. We arrived home past midnight last night. I remember, Jeff woke me up shaking my arms and brushing my hair with his fingers. I was at shock for a moment, suddenly forgot why I was there, sleeping next to him at his bed and hugging his pillow. I could see Aunt Manna standing by the door calling my name, saying that we were already leaving. I looked at Jeff's eyes, which were a little red, probably because he felt uncomfortable sleeping beside me. I smiled at him, said thank you, and waved goodbye.

And here I was, laying on my bed, wearing the same clothes that I was wearing last night. My mouth was really dry and my face was oily. I probably didn't wash first before I collapsed on my bed. I went straight towards the kitchen when I saw my mom walking up the stairs.

"Hey sweetie. Finally! You're up. Breakfast is at the table." I just smiled.

I saw a pile of pancakes calling my name on top of the kitchen island which made my tummy rumble. I poured over some maple syrup and tossed in a couple pieces of bananas and strawberries, then topped it with whipped cream. I ate my scrumptious breakfast while thinking about what i'll do today. In fact, I had nothing to do today. Suddenly, I heard murmurs coming from the other room.

"—— I dunno, it's getting worse." My dad's voice. "They just keep increasing and increasing the debt."

"Why?! I thought they already gave them a grace period?" My mom's voice. She sounded a little mad and a little worried.

"Psh. Yeah right, the truth is no matter what they'll keep increasing the interest. The last thing I want to happen is for them to file a case in court, 'cause for sure we'll lose and Joe will lose everything."

"....oh. Well, then what are we going to do? I'm sure we can just lend them some money, right? To pay off the interest?"

"I guess we can. Is it okay for you?" The voices were a little louder now. It seems like they were walking towards the kitchen.

"Well, it's a lot. And I you guys have known each other long enough. And besides, I don't want this to happen to them. We've been in this situation before, and it was terrible."

"I know sweetie, just make sure that you won't tell any——", I finally saw them enter the kitchen. Dad looked a little shocked when he saw me there. "Oh, hey Leena..." I think he knows that i've been listening to their conversation.

"Hi dad. What's going on?"

"I know you've been listening young lady." I told you. "But make sure you will not tell anyone. Not even Jeff, Cris, and Marion. Understand?"

I nodded looking very frightened. "Is it that bad? I thought we already met some people?"

"Yes, but not enough. Again, do not tell any of their kids." Dad grabbed his suitcase, kissed mom on the cheek, and went straight outside to get to work. Mom looked at me with her 'listen-to-your-father' look.