A Hero Is Born

Chen's designs!

Chen's designs!

-- -- --

"...The Monkey King used his magical staff to pick up a nearby mountain. He trapped the Demon Bull King underneath. The Monkey King sealed the mountain with the staff that no other being could wield, trapping the Demon Bull King forever. With the battle won, Monkey King vanished, never to be seen again. Legend says the staff still lies on top of that mountain, the one thing keeping our world from certain destruction.
And with the Demon Bull King gone, civilization was able to advance into the amazing city we now live in. A world of elegant cultures, gentle loving people, a city brimming with five-star cuisine, and all thanks to the Monkey King."

As Tang finishes narrating the story for the billionth time to MK, the young boy yells out, ecstatic. "Oh that's so good! Monkey King's so cool! He's so strong, and handsome-" he says, striking poses. Tang chuckles softly. "Oh, MK, and you thought you knew all of Monkey King's stories-"

"He does, and he won't shut up about them." another voice interrupts, placing a bag on the growing pile of deliveries. Tang and MK turn to face Chen, a helping hand in the noodle shop and the adopted son of Pigsy. He wipes his hands on his apron as he approaches.
The 20yo had black hair currently tied back in a ponytail and headband, and he wore the common white shirt with the noodle shop's logo on the back.

He picks up MK's book. "He's obsessed with that monkey, Tang. He probably already knew that story too." he explained. MK snatches the book from his friend, giving him a "Hmph!"
"I'm not obsessed! I've just got his whole life documented extensively in this unauthorised autobiography of Monkey King! Written and illustrated by yours truly." he winks as he elbows Tang.
MK then goes on a rant about Monkey King's life. Something he's done multiple times before. If Chen were being honest, he didn't mind. On a regular day, he'd listen to MK fanboy over his favourite subject.

But today was a work day, and they needed to deliver orders. If MK didn't do them, Chen would have to help with the deliveries that the boy forgot.

Tang picks up one of the drawings, taking a closer look with a smile. "It's nice to know someone's taking in all these stories. Pearls of wisdom, dripping from my lips." Chen rolls his eyes, returning to the back of the shop to finish cooking the rest of the deliveries. On the way there, Pigsy marches by him, on his way to confront Tang and MK.

In the kitchen, Chen gets to work, grabbing a knife and cutting the vegetables for Pigsy. From his work corner, he could hear Pigsy yelling at MK and Tang.
Eventually, MK was kicked out the door with the deliveries, as the chef went after Tang. Chen could hear everything in the background, but he ignores it. This was just another day in the workshop.

The phone rings, and the boy answers it, putting on his customer service voice. "Hello! Thank you for calling Pigsy's Noodles, home of the world's best noodles!" he greets in a chipper voice. A cackle sounds from the other end, causing the boy to stop, looking at the phone confused.

"Sorry, Chen. You just never sound that chipper whenever we hang out." a familiar voice explains. Realising who it was, Chen smirks. "Oh, really? How do I usually sound when we hang, Rey?"
"Grouchy."
"Hey!"

More laughter could be heard from the other end, as Chen rubs his eyes. "Alright, alright, so did you call to chat, or to order?" he finally asks, grabbing a notebook and a pen. Rey clears their throat. "Oh yeah! Could I order a takeaway of Chow Mein*?" they question. Chen writes it down, the phone pressed against his shoulder and ear as he writes. "Mhm, of course. Anything else? Any requirements?"
"No thank you. Just deliver it to the library, I'll be waiting out the front since I'm on my break." they explain. Chen nods, humming in response as he hangs up the piece of paper on a thin line strewn over the kitchen, easy for Pigsy and him to see. "Alright, thank you for calling Pigsy's Noodles, your order will be finished and delivered within 30 minutes." Chen explains.

Rey thanks their friend, hanging up the call. He makes the dish for them, ready to put it out on the delivery counter.
At that moment, Pigsy walks in, after finishing kicking Tang out momentarily. Chen greets him. "Heya, dad. Just finished another order."
Pigsy sighs. "Thanks, Chen. Could you deliver these?" he holds up a bunch of deliveries for Chen to take, obviously some MK had forgotten. "I don't think MK's gonna be back in time to deliver." he grumbles, looking up at the clock. MK had been gone roughly 10 minutes, and they couldn't afford to wait any longer to deliver the noodles. Chen gives him a lazy salute. "On it, pops."