Shadows and Tricksters

Chen looks around, realising he's in a room full of mirrors. He looks around desperately for an escape, but only sees multiple reflections of himself. His new self. Memories of a few months prior flash across his minds eye, reminding him of the doppelgängers words.

Visions of his own face tormenting him inside that damned calabash, then almost killing him while he was too helpless to do anything.

A small giggle sounded out around him, causing a chill to run up Chen's spine. His fur stands on end, giving away his fear. He whips around, looking for the reflection that was different.

He found it smirking back at him, the same damn smirk he'd seen before months ago, but with these recurring dreams he keeps having... it just feels like yesterday. It looked no different from before, it's hair still in a braid while his was out and level with his shoulders. The reflection tilts its head. "Well, well, well, long time no see, buddy! How've you been?"

Chen's fists clench in anger, and without giving the reflection another chance to speak he punches the mirror, smashing it. "Get out of here!" He yells, watching with satisfaction as the mirror cracks and falls apart, the smirking reflection disappearing. But it was only gone for a moment before it morphs into another reflection, giggling hysterically while clutching its stomach. "Aw! I thought you'd be more happy to see me!"
"Why the hell would I be happy to see you?! Get out of my head! I know this is a dream!" Chen snaps, twisting around to punch the mirror again.
A hand shoots out from the mirror and grabs a hold of his fist mid punch, but the force behind the punch was enough to cause the other mirrors to shatter to pieces. Chen's eyes widen in shock as the glass splits like water, the figure stepping forth with the same taunting expression as it stands before the young demon.

"You can yell at me all you want buddy, but it's not gonna do anything." The doppelgänger states matter-of-factly, twisting Chen's wrist and causing him to cry out in pain. "I'm you, remember? And you can't just tell yourself to leave, can you? I mean how stupid is that!" It laughs, still twisting.
Gritting his teeth from the pain, Chen manages to land a blow on the figures stomach, pushing him back and forcing him to let go. The doppelgängers back hits the mirror behind it, wincing and groaning in pain.

"You're not me, demon! I don't know who or what you are, but you're not welcome here!" Chen spat angrily. The doppelgänger chuckles, standing up straighter and brushing off the broken glass from its shoulders. "Oh you sweet naive child. There is no other demon here. Just you and your inner turmoil."

The figure takes a step forward, smirking as it notices Chen take a step back. "You can't get rid of me. You could bury me in your memory, sure, but I'll always be here." It taps its head. "Just waiting for you to break down."

Before Chen could react, it lunges forward in the blink of an eye, grabbing him by the throat and holding him in the air. Chen coughs and gasps, feeling his windpipe being crushed.
The figures grin widens, eyes glowing an eerie green as his hand starts to crack and glow the same colour, only tightening its grasp when Chen tries to pry its grasp away.

"You can't escape the beast. You can't escape yourself."

Chen snaps awake, bolting up in bed as he clutches his shirt, trying to calm his rapid heart beat. Shu, who'd been sleeping on the bed with him, jumps up in fright.

The young demon tries to calm his ragged breathing, his tail absentmindedly wrapping around him as he closes his eyes. "It was just a dream... just a dream..."