Skeleton Key

"Concentrate on how much power you want to use! There we go!" Jade smiles proudly, watching as Chen easily broke one of the dummies in half using super strength. The young man pants for breath after the work out, swinging his arms as he looks down at the dummy. "How'd I do?"

"Great! You've been picking up this thing way quicker than I thought! The meditation must've helped a lot, eh?" Jade states, as Chen grins, proud that he was finally getting somewhere. "Yeah, I guess it has."

The two sat down on the mat for a break, and as Chen looks around he took note that the old dojo was much cleaner than his first visit. Jade must've done some proper cleaning and repairs on this place.

"So-"

Jade's voice brings Chen's attention back to him, and the young man turns to the snake demon.

"Since you've been doing so well, I feel like we can do a bit of friendly sparring, just to see how you go with your powers in battle." Jade suggests, taking a sip of his water bottle. Chen's about to answer when his phone alarm goes off, signalling the end of the lesson. He takes out his phone, checking the time.

"Maybe next time. I gotta go to work. Pigsy told me there's going to be a special guest coming to see MK." He explains, getting to his feet. Jade nods in understanding. "Ah, alright! Just, uh, remember to keep meditating, alright?" He asks.

Chen was already rushing out the door. "Got it, teach! Catch ya later!"

With that, the boy was gone, leaving Jade alone.

The snake demon gets to his feet, stretching a bit. He had to admit, he was a bit disappointed that Chen couldn't spar with them, since it was obvious the young man was doing much better. But there was always next time, right?

Jade moves into another room of the dojo, heading toward the bathroom. He had managed to get the water working in this old place, just so he'd have somewhere decent to live. The technology of this day and age will never cease to amaze him.

Turning the tap on he splashes some water on his face, before looking into the mirror. As he looks up at his reflection, they're met with the sight of a manic smile behind them. Their blood runs cold, a familiar chill running down his spine.

"Well, well, well! What do we have here? If it isn't my old partner." A voice says cheerily behind him, the smile never disappearing or fading for a second.

Jade stands taller, turning to face the figure he'd seen in the reflection. "Chief."

The Chief of War before him looked way different than when he'd last seen him. Instead of the attire he was accustomed to, he was wearing a black suit with blue stripes. But his familiar lifeless eyes stared back at Jade, a wide grin stretched across his face.

"Ah, it's been so long since somebody's called me that." He says with a grin. "And it's been a while since I've seen you. How was that coffin? Dark? Cramped? Perhaps a little claustrophobic? I know how you feel about tight spaces."

Jade doesn't say anything back, instead changing the subject. "If you're here, does that mean our lady...?"

The man chuckles, shaking his head. "Oh, not yet! But she'll be back very soon. But while we're here, was that the Demon Bull Kings off spring I caught skipping out of here? You know how our Lady will feel if she finds you associating with the enemy."

Jade tenses up, jaw clenching slightly. "It's not what it looks like-"

"Oh, don't worry! I won't do anything to him yet. After all, we wouldn't want our dear old friend the Monkey King coming after us yet, do we?"