The next day

Rykers Pov:

My eyes flutter and I see dark hair in between blinks. Shit. I look up and see Maddox peacefully asleep. I look around and it's daylight. He starts to shift a little. I close my eyes and try to be as still as possible. I kinda like laying on his shoulder. His arm is around me and his other on my knee. We must have fallen asleep. I hear him yawn and stretch a little. He careful not to wake me up. He runs his softly around my knee. "Ryker, wake up" he whispers. My heart warms at his touch. "Morning" he smiles as I pretend to yawn. "What happened?" I ask rubbing my eyes. "I think we fell asleep watching the show." I nod my head and fake a stretch. He doesn't move his hand from my knee. "How's the pain?" He runs his thumb across the bandaid on my cheek. "It's okay." I lie, it's totally throbbing. "And your knee?" He gives it a squeeze. "It's a little sore." I chuckle. "I'm used to it always being sore though." He nods his head and runs his hands through his hair. "We could do some one on one practice time if you want? I could help you strengthen it until your ready to fully play." My cheeks blush. "Just us?" "Oh uh yeah, I mean the rest of the team would just get in the way." He hangs his head in embarrassment. The rest of the team. His words remind me of yesterday. Shit. Charlie. I reach in my pocket and pull out my phone. 1 text message. I shove my phone back in my pocket. "I gotta go" I panic. "Okay, I didn't mean anything by it, we both have boyfriends." He chuckles rubbing his neck. "No not that, that's fine." I place my hand on his shoulder. "I just need to find Charlie and apologize for giving his best friend a fat lip." I grab my jacket and rush out the door.

Nicks Pov:

I slip Charlie out from under my arm. I love cuddling him but man in my head throbbing. Probably from Rykers right hook last night. I grab my things and head towards my dorm room. It's 10:00am, whoever Max had over last night has probably left. I throw my keys on the counter and walk straight towards his door. I open it and see Ryker laying on his shoulder. I close the door quickly. "Shit." I mumble and rush to my room. I close the door behind me. There's no way there's anything going on. I mean Max said he's straight and I should respect that right? It's wrong to assume anything. I hear the front door close and rush out my bedroom door. "Oh hey Nick." He grabs a glass of water and turns towards me. "I don't want to fake being your boyfriend anymore." He shrugs his shoulders. "But it's working." I cry. "Listen, you were right. Charlie's just going to get hurt." "And Ryker." I raise my eye brows. He walks over to the couch and sits down. "And Ryker" he hesitates. "I just think you need to tell Charlie how you feel before this goes to far." He takes a slip of water and pulls out his phone smiling. I move over to the couch to see what he's looking at.
R: when do you want to start my training?
I shake my head. Don't assume. Don't assume. "Since when are you and Ryker friends?" I pry. "I don't know, it just kinda happened." He shoves the phone back in his pocket. "So are you going to tell Charlie or not?" He asks. "Okay, fine. I'll tell him soon." I wave my hand in the air. I know he's right but I'm irritated. Charlie was finally starting to show interest in me.

Maddox's pov:

I get up leaving Nick behind. I can feel him prying and I just want to be alone. "I'm gonna shower. Just tell him soon okay?" I pled. I'm worried about how Ryker fits in to this plan. "Whatever" he mutters. I turn the shower on letting the steam fill the room. I look over at the sink and shiver at the thought of my thumb gliding across his lip. I shake my head pushing the thought away. Your straight, he's just a friend. Your straight this isn't you Runs over and over in my head. I don't have anything wrong with being gay don't get me wrong. I've just never liked a boy. It's not who I am. I jump in the shower letting the hot water run over me. My mind races a million ways trying to distract myself. Finally I give in thinking back to this morning.

Flashback:

I look down to see Ryker asleep on my shoulder. I rub my hand across his knee. I can only imagine the pain he's in. I don't think I could ever take a break from hockey. This game is my life and I plan on going into the NHL. I look back up at Ryker. He just looks so peaceful. I reach my hand up but stop myself. I.. I don't know what I'm feeling but I can't stop looking at his lips.

End of flash back.

I run my hands through my hair picturing what it feels like to run them through his. Fuck. Just a friend just a friend. I repeat over and over until the thought leaves my head. I get out of the shower and dry off. I check my phone and see another text from Ryker.
R: how about we start next week? Just focus on the game this week.
M: okay, just don't think your missing practice this week. 😉

I toss my phone on the counter. I never have and never will have feelings for Ryker. It's just practice.