Just Friends

Nick's Pov:

"You've been with him 2 seconds and he's already crying" Ryker slams the door open. "We aren't together" I whisper. Tears fall down my cheek and I turn my head away.

"What happened Nick?" Max pops his head into the door way now. "He says he doesn't want to risk our friendship." I lift my head up. "I get that" Max lowers his. Ryker looks over at him panicked. Silence falls over the room as none of us really know what to say.

After a few moments Max grabs Rykers hand. "Come on, let's give Nick his space." Ryker visibly relaxes at his touch. My heart aches for Char's touch.

The next day:
Char Pov:

A soft knock on the door wakes me up. I push the tissues off my pillow and throw on a sweatshirt. I open the door and Nick is standing there. After the cold shoulder yesterday, I wasn't sure he would talk to me again.

"Ryker and Max took off for the day, do you want to come over?" He looks down. I can tell he's nervous.  I hesitate to answer unsure if I can be around him. "As friends, of course" he adds. "Okay, I'll be over in an hour. I need to shower first." He nods his head and starts to walk back towards his dorm.

I close the door sliding down it. I have to make this friendship work. He may never be my boyfriend, but I refuse to loose my best friend too.

An hour later:

I knock on Nicks door unsure if I should just go in. "Come in" he yells from behind the door. I open it to see a table full of snacks, video games and movies all laid out. "I thought we would spend the day in just being lazy" he smiles up at me. Being just friends knowing we both like each other is going to be tough.

"I didn't know you could be this bad at donkey Kong" I laugh. "Your the one making me die all the time." He gives me a light shove and we lock eyes. I'm not sure what they are saying but I know it's not friendly.

"No Char, how can you be team Ben... obviously we have to be team Paxton." He tosses popcorn at me. I pick it up off the couch and toss it back. It turns into a wrestling match and be pins me against the couch. I can feel his heart racing against mine as time stops. Just friends, just friends, just friends.

We stay like this a moment to long. Neither of us wanting to move. Suddenly there's a knock at the door and we jump 5 feet apart. "I'll get it." He stutters. "That will be $17.88" it must be the pizza we ordered.

"I will never accept the fact that you only like cheese pizza." He laughs as I pick the pepperoni off. "What can I say" I giggle. He's teased me about this forever. Maybe we can be just friends.

"Seriously, you want to watch Gilmore girls again? How many times will this be?" He groans. "Idk just put it on." I laugh. We watch the show for hours until I start to feel sleepy. I can do this I think. We've always been just friends. So what he's laying there already asleep looking perfect. I can love him from a distance.