It's complicated

Charlie's pov:

Nick and I sit on his bed laughing about a long lost memory. "Hey Remember when Tori caught us.." the door swings open and Ryker storms in clearly pissed. "Hey baby whats wrong?" The next thing I know he's raising his fist and hits Nick square in the face. "That's for trying to break up Charlie and I." He backs away shaking his hand. Nick gets up and swings back. I jump in front of Ryker. "Nick." I glare. "What is he talking about?" "Go on tell him Nicky. Tell him how your fake dating Max just to make Charlie Jealous." "What!" I take a step back looking at both of them. Nick collapses back onto the bed. "Nick why would you do this?" My heart shatters. "I just don't like Ryker." He bows his head. "I can't believe you." I storm out of the room. I walk into my dorm and start pacing.

Nicks Pov:

"Stay away from him." Ryker threatens. "Or what? You'll punch me again?" I chuckle. This whole situation is just ridiculous. He sits down next to me on the bed. "Are you in love with him?" He lightly shoves me. His sudden change in mood startles me. "Yeah" I nod my head. I'm tried of hiding it. "How long?" He sighs. "I don't know. One day it just grew to more." I look down. I don't remember when I started to love him. I just know I do. "I'm not going to break up with him." He huffs. "I know" I roll my eyes. "I won't tell him though." He nudges me again. "Why are you being Nice to me? Didn't you just hit me?" I look over confused. "I know what it's like to be in love with someone and it not be reciprocated." He looks down. He's with Charlie though. I don't understand who he's talking about. "I think Max needs you." He changes the subject. "I don't know why he's pushing me away but maybe he will talk to you." His eyes meet mine. For the first time I notice how red and swollen they are. Was he crying before he came in here? I nod my head and start to get up. "Where is he?" I look back. "The locker room." He hangs his head and sniffs. I start to make my way out the door when it hits me. I had locked it, how did he get in?

Charlie's Pov:

After what feels like forever of pacing, I walk next door and starting pounding on Jackson's door. "What?" Jackson opens the door harshly. "We are kinda busy." He chuckles. I look into the room and Luke's shirt is thrown on the ground. I'm clearly interrupting something. Luke jumps up and throws he shirt on. "Charlie what's wrong?" He pushes past Jackson. "Oh shit I didn't notice, Charlie are you okay?" Jackson and Luke exchange concerned looks. I reach up and feels my cheeks are wet. I don't remember crying. I walk into the room and close the door behind me.

"So Nicks been fake dating Max just to break up you and Ryker?" Jackson snarls. I nod my head feeling defeated. "Why would he think that would break you up anyway?" He huffs. "Jackson honey..." Luke placed his hand on his and just looks at me. I look down knowing the answer. I just don't want to admit it. "I know we all give you shit about being "just friends" and you and Nick have been best friends for so long. But are you sure there's nothing more there?" My heart leaps out of my chest and my stomach fills with butterflies. "I.." I trail off not knowing how to answer that question. "I think he thought if you saw him with someone else... it might make you jealous?" He says more as a question. "Like that would work." Jackson huffs. "Love, why don't you let me and Charlie talk." Luke squeezes his hand. "What why?" He jumps backs little. "Look your Rykers best friend and Charlie is dating your best friend. Your too close." He smiles sweetly. "It's my room" he huffs. Luke just looks at him and pouts. "Okay okay I'll get lost" he gets up and slams the door. Luke moves over to sit next to me. "Nothing you say will leave this room." He nudges me and I nod my head. "He looked different today." I look up trying to express my confusion. "Is what way?" "I don't know he just looked... more mature." He nods his head. "Why do you hate Max so much?" He changes the subject. "I just.. when we got here he was like all over Nick in 2 seconds and he just smug and thinks he knows better than everyone." I huff. "So you didn't like him hanging all over Nick." He Chuckles. "if you don't have feelings for Nick why would you care?" I sit there pondering. A few moments pass by and I finally answer. "He's my best friend Luke. I can't go there. What if we break up and I loose him." My voice cracks. Luke nods his head and takes a deep breath. "Jackson was my best friend. I spent years denying that I was in love with him. I thought if I pushed it down enough, it would eventually go away and it did or at least I thought it did. It was always there but I was in such a denial, I convinced myself it was a friend kind of love." He pauses. "What happened?" I pry. "He kissed some guy at a party and I turned and walked out crying. I couldn't handle seeing him with someone else. He ran after me and I wouldn't stop talking about how I didn't care he kissed someone and we were just friends. He shut me up by kissing me." He chuckles at the memory. I sit there silently, taking in what he said. "Okay." I sigh. "Maybe I have feelings for Nick. But what he did is unforgivable and I really like Ryker." Those damn butterflies dance in my stomach as I finally admit my feelings for Nick. "I know. But try to forgive him. You don't have to date him. But don't throw away your friendship because he did something stupid." He nudges me again. I nod my head and get up. "Thanks" I look back before walking out the door.

"Char I.." I look up to realize Nick is standing in front of me. "Leave me alone." I brush past him. "But Char" he grabs my wrist and turns me around. We come face to face close enough that a light breeze would push us together. My heart races and my cheeks turn red. Those damn butterflies fill my entire stomach and the tension between us is unbearable. I take a deep breath and pull away. "I need space" I slam my door and plop on my bed. My mind runs through all of the possibilities. I like Nick.. but I love Ryker. I never have and never will let this affect our friendship.