Winter break part 1

Winter break:

Charlie's Pov:

"I thought you said we were going to spend break together!" I raise my voice. How can he tell me this today. "I know but I need to stay and practice. We have a really important game coming up and I need to be at my best" Ryker whines. "Whatever." I storm away.

I knock on Nicks door and it swings open. I walk in and look around. There's trash everywhere. I roll my eyes and head to Nicks room. "Char, what are you doing here?" He turns around. "How did you know it was me?" I step back shocked. "I'm magic." He smirks. I roll my eyes and pick up his backpack. "Come on let's get going." I toss it on my back. "What?" He stammers. "I'm coming home with you." He stands there for a few moments. He looks around flustered. "But what... okay." He nods his head. He's kinda cute when he's flustered.

Rykers Pov:

Charlie leaves and I feel bad. I don't even know why I'm staying. I haven't even talked to Max in a month.

I find myself wandering into the rink. Max is skating back and forth across the ice. I shove my hands in my pocket and just sit in the bleachers watching him. I don't know why I'm here. I should be with Charlie... my thoughts wander and when I look up he's gone.

"Hey" he hesitates. I look to my right and Max is walking up to me. "How long have you been here?" He smiles. "Ugh just a bit." I stutter. He moves his hair out of his face and my heart beats a little faster.

"I'm sorry" we both say at the same time. We giggle to ourselves. "I'm sorry I was a dick" he starts. I nod my head unsure what to say. "I've got issues." He mumbles and turns away shyly. "I've got them too." I place my hands in my lap. "I shouldn't have given you the silent treatment." He looks around for a few moments before proceeding. "Well your talking now and that's enough." He winks and my heart leaps. "What are you doing here anyway? Charlie said you guys where supposed to go home together." I stand up quickly. "You and Charlie... friends?" I cock my head to the side completely confused. "It's uh a long story." He runs his hands through his hair.

"Anyway.. I decided I needed to practice." I cough. "We could still practice together." His eyes light up and I nod my head. "Yeah. I'd like that."

Charlie's Pov:

We ride in silence most of the time. "Mom doesn't know your coming. I didn't think you were." Nick finally breaks the silence. Guilt fills me. I don't want to spring myself on his mom. "You can just drop me off at home." I look out the window. "Char.." he grabs my hand. "I'm just saying David is home. You'll have to sleep in my room." His eyes twinkle and I get nervous. "Oh uh yeah that's okay." He nods his head and looks back at the road.

We finally pull up to his house after what seems like forever. His mom runs out and throws her arms around me. "I didn't know you were coming love!" I pull back "I'm sorry, change of plans." "Nonsense" she hugs Nick. "David's home." She whispers in his ear. I see him flinch but I'm not sure why. David was never really around much. I think I've only met him once or twice.

We walk into his room and I take it all in. We've only been in college for a few months but it feels so different. I sit on his bed and pick up a picture on his night stand. It's a picture of when we were six and making snow angels. "I didn't know you had this." He turns and grabs it out of my hand blushing. "Oh um." He stutters and sets it back down. My heart races faster at the realization. Has he always loved me? I really should tell him I know. How do you tell your best friend you know that he's in love with you?

"So" he sits next to me. "Are you telling your mom your home?" I look down. "No. I don't think she really wants to see me anyway." Sadness fills my heart and a tear slips down my cheek. She's still mad I left for college. She thinks I should have stayed home.

I feel him put his arm around around me. "I'm sorry" he whispers. I look over and his eyes meet mine. "It's okay." I mumble. He reaches up and wipes a tear from my cheek. My heart races at his gesture and his face turns bright red. Tension fills the room as neither of us want to move.

"So are y'all gonna kiss or what?" David kicks open the door and Nick jumps up. "Just leaves us alone." He slams the door closed. "Whatever loser." He yells behind the door." Nick sits back down and lays his head on my shoulder. "Has he always been an ass?" I chuckle. "Yeah" Nick stares off into the distance.

Max's Pov:

I watch Ryker skate across the rink working on his stick skills. He's definitely getting better but I worry about him. One blow to the knee and he's done. I think of all the ways I may need to protect him in a game. I can't let him get hurt.

"Earth to Max" he waves his arms in the air yelling. I look up. I didn't even realize he was talking to me. He skates over and trips knocking us both over. We fall into the ice and look at each other laughing. "I haven't done that in years." He giggles. "That's what happens when you can't skate." "Hey!" He hits me in the arm. We both lay there on the ice just looking up.

"I missed you." I whisper. "I missed the ramen." He chuckles. "Whatever." I pout. I look over at him and I feel at home. I don't know what he is to me. I just know he's my home for better or worse.