Chapter 33

midnight fishes

It wasn't until around 10pm that we'd cleaned ourselves up and locked the cabin door behind us

It wasn't until around 10pm that we'd cleaned ourselves up and locked the cabin door behind us. We were getting hungry and there was no stove in the cabin so we had decided a spontaneous restaurant meal near the beach would be much more exciting, even if it was quite late. Chan let me lead back to the main road and upon getting there I saw that the atmosphere of this small beach town had become livelier.

There was a significant amount of people here now, and in fact some even seemed like tourists, bringing their little children. I noticed how happy the parents of them were, and it made me think of my relationship with Chan. Maybe I wanted children with him one day, but that day wouldn't be for another five years at least, but it was a hopeful dream all the same. Chan would be an amazing father, it was attractive just pondering about it but the way he looks after people now, he would be there for his child's every need, even giving them a piggyback if they began to feel tired.

Chan caught my loving eyes, and I stayed smiling at him as we paused for a moment. Even his smile was peaceful to look upon.

"What's on your mind?" He asked playfully, "earlier?"

I shook my head but then smiled, "Well, it would be hard for that not to be on my mind but no, I was just thinking about our future together, that's all."

He put his arm around me as he pulled us to continue walking down the street and I felt his hand cupped around the side of my shoulder. This was the best day ever I was sure, to think that we'd have to sort out the Hyunjin and Sungmi situation soon frightened me, so I continued to put it to the back of my mind.

"What are you fancying?" He asked and I thought about it for a moment.

"Do you reckon that there is a Chinese restaurant near here, I'm craving some sweet and sour noodles right now."

"I know just the place." He replied cheerfully and I let him guide me with his arm comfortably still around me. The night air felt fresher by the sea, and it was a pleasant feeling for my lungs. As we passed more and more people, I saw that they were all heading towards the beach.

"A walk along the beach at midnight sounds like a fun idea for later." I mentioned quietly.

"Oh yeah, absolutely."

————————

The Chinese restaurant that Chan knew of was one of the nicest I'd been to in a long time. For some reason I hadn't found one in Busan that I liked yet and definitely not within the small town of Busan that we lived in. We had spent around 2 hours in there, most of it was us talking rather than eating but it felt as if we were normal now like a regular couple going on a date. Now that it was nearing 12pm I gave a look to Chan that he instantly knew as let's go walk on the beach now, so he started laughing a little. Hearing his laugh throughout today were the highlights, who knew that a perfect boyfriend existed, I loved every little thing about him. But soon we would have to face reality just for a small while. As soon as Sungmi becomes aware of this, she would likely want to get rid of me even more.

"Look how calm the sea is at this hour." He spoke out and I let my feet feel the soft slightly cool sand as we stepped onto it. I started running towards the sea and heard Chan laughing while his heavy footsteps followed.

"Yah, I thought you wanted to walk on the beach not run." I heard him shout and instead of turning I ended up just smiling to myself as I felt my whole body start to warm up.

It didn't take long at all for him to catch up with me and he reached out for my hand so we could run towards the water together in sync. It didn't surprise me that he was faster than me, I knew all too well how fit Chan was.

"The water will be cold you know." He remarked and I shrugged feeling so happy to care right now. In fact, I hadn't been to a beach in- I paused. I could remember beaches, but my memory still wouldn't let me remember a single time that I'd ever been on a beach. When I stopped running, Chan stopped too and he was there by my side instantly again asking if I was okay. I was okay, but it just annoyed me now with this memory loss.

"I can't even remember if I've ever been on a beach before."

"You will soon, I promise. And you most definitely won't forget today." He was so right, I would most definitely not.

—————————
The Next Day

Jisung had messaged me, and I noticed it around 10 minutes after I had woke up next to Chan on the cabin's double bed. Although Chan was still sleeping, I knew that if I moved any part of me, he'd most likely wake up very soon. The time was 7:47am and when it reached 8am, I started to move my elbows a little while I typed back a response to Jisung.

As I'd noticed earlier, everything was different to how I had my phone originally. Sungmi had even added Hyunjin's number and put hearts around it. Out of everyone in this situation, I felt sorry for Hyunjin the most. He loved me, theoretically. Just, as it happens, a meaner, more manipulative side of me. But there was nothing I could do, we both couldn't stay, and my heart lay with Chan. In a way, I wished that I never met Hyunjin at the mental hospital, if he had never seen me, he would have eventually gotten better and may have forgotten about Sungmi completely. But now, he's just holding onto the inevitable pain.

Jisung was wondering if everything was still okay, and he had said he had bad news without any more context so I was worried as to what it could be. There were countless scenarios that I was imagining in my mind.

"Mmmm, morning beautiful." Unexpectedly I blushed while I watched Chan turn himself around so that he could face me.

"I could get used to this. I can't wait to officially live in the same house as you and not just let you stay around randomly." I whispered and moved my hand into his soft locks, gently rubbing it. "You can mess with my hair as much as you want because I'll be having a shower soon." When he told me that I rubbed his head a little more while he briefly closed his eyes letting me play with his slightly long dark hair. Before long, I remembered the text of Jisung's and heard a second buzz.

"I don't mean to spoil this moment but..." He opened his eyes again, his brown eyes meeting mine again.

"Hmm?"

"Jisung texted to say he has bad news."

"Oh no- what did he say."

I clicked on the second message and my heart almost skipped a beat.

"Last night, I went to check on Hyunjin and, well, I had to take him immediately into hospital. Hyunjin's had an extreme panic attack which caused him to knock himself out through falling backwards."

"Chan we need to leave, right now."