Chapter 35

3 weeks before the car accident November 14th, 2014.
backstory part 2
(what they tell Y/n in the hospital)
⚠️ mentions of sensitive topics ⚠️

backstory part 2 (what they tell Y/n in the hospital)⚠️ mentions of sensitive topics ⚠️

Author's pov.

It had been just over a month since Sungmi had been acting weirder than usual. Yet, there was never enough proof for Hyunjin to ask her about it, whenever he thought about something strange that she did, there would always be something that makes up for it. But Hyunjin didn't know exactly what it was. The weirdest thing was when she put on a movie that she had once old him was overrated and boring, as if she had never seen it before.

"Hyunjin, you awake?" A voice whispered making the hairs on his skin stand up. He wasn't even dressed, yet his head shot up in the dark room as he scanned it for any source of the noise.

"Out here you idiot." The voice whispered again and this time Hyunjin looked directly out his window where he had left the curtains wide open. Hyunjin's bedroom was on the second floor so he couldn't quite work out how somebody had reached his bedroom window.

"Caleb, is that you?"

"Yeah, I need your help, I've messed up." This time the whisper sounded panicked, so Hyunjin threw his covers off and rushed up to his drawer where he put on some clothes with a plain jumper for warmth. He already knew that the favour would be something outside. Maybe he got locked outside his house or something, or upset one of his neighbours, that was usually it. Before he let Caleb in, he grabbed a hair bobble off the side to keep the back piece of his dark hair back. For the past five months he had been trying to grow his hair out as he felt he suited it a little more than when it was short although the length did annoy him at times.

"What is it then?" Hyunjin walked up to the window as he opened the larger window of the two. He noticed that he had left the small window at the top open which explained how he could have heard him from out there. But the facial expression on Caleb's was nothing he had ever seen before. It almost looked disturbed yet there was a strange familiarity about it. Hyunjin at this point immediately knew it was something serious.

"You're scaring me."

"Come out this way," Caleb started, and he pointed how he got up there. "And... bring some gloves."

Hyunjin looked between his two eyes before he slipped back into his dark room picking up the gloves he had for colder days. Then without any more questions he climbed out of his window, trying not to look down before he made it to the ground. It was too dark to see Caleb properly, but he could tell that something was going on, there was only a small bit of light from a streetlamp. Hyunjin heard the thud of his own footsteps as they touched the floor in the darkness and he reached forward grabbing Caleb by the hem of his t-shirt.

"Yah, you have to tell me what's going on." Hyunjin shouted and Caleb looked back at him with cold eyes.

"I'm regretting asking you for help." He muttered angrily and pulled Hyunjin's hand from his collar. Without anymore words dispersed, Caleb moved through the darkness as Hyunjin tried his best to keep up. He felt as if he should have stayed in his bed now.

After Caleb had walked in the direction of his house, he paused and he turned to see Hyunjin still there.
"Caleb, it smells awful." Caleb didn't say anymore and he led Hyunjin to his back yard where a fence had been removed to allow access. From his bag he pulled out a flashlight which shone brightly onto the ground when Hyunjin's hands began to shake and he felt the heart inside him thump loudly.

"What- what have you done." Hyunjin had his gloves on and he bent down looking over the scene in front of him. A young man was face down in the dirt as a puddle of blood lay underneath him and Hyunjin could hardly keep quiet. Hyunjin was shaking his head at Caleb and he moved a hand to turn the head in his direction when he dropped the flashlight in it's place and fell backwards.

"You killed your- . You- you." Hyunjin couldn't form the words without stuttering.

"Your brother, how how- could you. I can't- I can't help- I."

Hyunjin watched as Caleb pulled from his pocket a metal gun almost the size of his hand and a lump hit Hyunjin's throat.
"You're going to help me dispose of the body Hyunjin."

"What the actual-" Hyunjin started when Caleb picked up the torch pointing it at him while aiming the gun at his friend.

"I said, YOU'RE HELPING ME." Caleb whisper shouted and Hyunjin was frozen still, shaking intensely.

"So this is why you were in that damn mental hospital." Hyunjin finally had the courage to spit out his dry throat. "I suspected you had anger issues but, your brother?"

"Do you want me to shoot?" Caleb asked aggressively and Hyunjin was quick to shut up.

"You'll pay for this." Hyunjin muttered as he began to think of what to do in this situation. "They'll catch you."

Caleb just grinned and Hyunjin knew that his friend was insane, yet he didn't know how he had turned out this way.
"So you kiss my girlfriend and then aim a gun at me." Hyunjin muttered feeling as if he wanted to scream. "I-"

Hyunjin paused when he heard the gun drop to the floor and his head shot towards Caleb who stumbled back for a second.

"Caleb-"

"Where am I?"

"Are you insane, have you been taking drugs, what the hell is wrong with you." Hyunjin shouted at him leaping up to him, shaking his shoulders, ready to punch him, when he watched his eyes close and his weight beginning to fall backwards.

Hyunjin didn't know what to do other than fall onto the floor himself and hold his knees into him, hugging them. Caleb's older brother had always had a friendly face. He didn't know him well as he stayed in Caleb's house most the time. Not many people ever saw him or even knew he existed unless you went over Caleb's house often. Yet now he was dead. Dead because of Caleb and Hyunjin had no idea why and he was shaking, frozen and cold. Yet he'd have to fix everything because even though he hated Caleb, he knew that he would die if Caleb ever broke out one day. So he knew, he had to help him and it ate away at him with the heavy night. The moon was dim that night, almost as if the moon knew and was comforting Hyunjin. Maybe it would all be okay, or maybe it wouldn't. But he knew that he'd cut all ties with Caleb, from tomorrow. He was scared of him. Hyunjin was terrified.