8. It's Just a Burn

As the sound of clinking silverware ceased, Kanari looked up at the king. She'd been avoiding all eye contact with him even more than usual after her outburst yesterday. If he was bothered by this, he didn't seem to show it, as he treated her just the same. He hadn't even mentioned anything about yesterday; a fact which Kanari was eternally grateful for.

She cleared her throat, a quiet gesture, but it caught the king's attention all the same. He set his utensils down, seemingly finished with his lunch. He stared at her with rapt attention. Kanari became impossibly quieter after yesterday. Almost as if the emotional display used up her entire emotion quota for the week. So whatever she had to say now, it would be important.

"I would like to be excused today, Your Majesty," she said, her voice sharp as she spoke the last two words.

"I thought you'd say that," the king remarked. "You're going to visit your friends, aren't you?"

Kanari paused for a moment, before nodding slowly. Her face went slightly pink, but other than that, her emotions were suppressed.

"Would you mind if I go with you?" Asked Ayato, his voice free of discernible motive. Brows furrowed, Kanari stared at the king, her eyes filled with confusion.

"I wouldn't mind at all, Your Majesty," she said, her words laced with suspicion.

The two stood up in unison and left the room, heading straight for the hospital wing. At first, Kanari let the king lead, as per usual, but then, he started to slow down, allowing her to catch up with him. Soon enough, they were walking side by side along the corridors, their paces even. This was the first time they had ever walked like this. As equals, in some sense. It was... strange.

The halls became less and less fancy as they transitioned into the knight's quarters. The sound of their heels grew sharp as they strolled across stone floors. Some of the not-quite-white paint on the walls was peeling at the edges.

"Do the knights not take care of their living conditions?" Murmured the king, more to himself than anything. His tone was curious, rather than condescending.

"No one bothers, or cares enough to," Kanari responded. "W— They just keep it clean. The other stuff isn't necessary for them."

Out of the corner of her eye she could see the king nod slowly, taking the time to process her words. The palace proper was pristine, with everything kept in the utmost quality. Here, where the servants referred to as "The Behinds", maintenance was less of a priority.

As they reached the doors that led to the hospital wings, Kanari's breath quickened. She tried not to think of the state her friends could be in, but sickening thoughts seeped in through the gaps, poisoning her head. She was about to open her mouth to address the guards, but the king beat her to it.

"We're here to visit the attack patrol," he said, in a tone much more commanding than the one he had used on Kanari earlier.

Without a moment's hesitation, they were let in the ward. A month ago, Kanari would've had to chat a bit with the guards until they let her in, especially during non-visiting hours. Now, they were let in with no problem. Of course, the king was here, but still, it was moments like these that she was reminded of who she was now. The royal advisor. The king's right hand. Someone with high rank and power.

Someone to fear.

She walked in, the king on her heels, and greeted the lady sitting behind the reception desk with a small nod.

"Is there anyone named Sangonomiya Kokomi or Gorou registered here?" She asked, her hands clasped firmly behind her back.

"Y- Yes, they came the day before yesterday," the receptionist said quickly, glancing occasionally at the king, who seemed to be more interested in his surroundings.