17. Falling From Heaven Hurts

When the king came back inside the office, Kanari was still sat crumpled on the ground, a sniffling Ruu in her arms. She glanced at Ayato and gave him a weak smile, though it only seemed to make him more concerned, judging from the look on his face. Nudging the boy on his feet, she stood up, wiping the last of her tears.

"Are you an angel?" Asked Ruu suddenly, looking up at Kanari. She was at a loss for words, and could only stare at the child before her blankly.

"I'm not an angel," she responded quietly after a moment. She was fully aware of the king's gaze on her, but she chose to ignore him.

"My mom said the nicest people are angels." Ruu shifted and looked at the ground. "Miss angel, will Mister Shima come back?"

"No," Kanari whispered. "I will make sure no one will ever hurt anyone within these walls again."

"I'm scared."

"I know."

They stood in an understanding silence for a few minutes, not daring to break the trance they were in. Peace, in a life of constant turmoil, was rare.

"Ruu!"

Hiiragi Chisato ran into the room, arms outstretched. She wrapped herself around the traumatized boy, obviously worried. Kanari watched as Ruu stiffened for a moment, though he relaxed after a moment. A man with messy maroon hair walked in behind the caretaker, his sharp eyes the color of peridot scanning the room.

"Your Majesty," he said, bowing before Ayato. "Shikanoin Heizou, from the Tenryou Police Department. I was told there was some sort of attack?"

The king looked at Kanari expectantly, urging for her to explain. She sighed and leaned against the desk, her hands gripping onto the wooden edges. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Chisato drag Ruu out of the room, obviously deeming the conversation too heavy for children. Kanari cleared her throat softly as they slipped away, before beginning her spiel.

Her voice echoed throughout the room as she told them what happened. As she continued, she wished the ground would open up and swallow her, just so she wouldn't have to relive any of it, but alas, she had to. Though she spoke steadily, on the inside she wanted to collapse. Her own calm voice sounded more alien with every passing second, as if her entire soul was detached from her body.

When she got to the part where she intercepted the blow, she noticed the king frown, his eyes clouded. Though, when she glanced at him, he immediately looked at the ceiling, seemingly caught up in his own thoughts. Once she finished, she kept her cold stare on the wooden floor. The only sound now was their ragged breathing and the scratching of Heizou's pen on his notebook.

"What is your full name, by the way?" The officer quipped, suddenly looking up from his notes.

"Kagayaku Kanari," Kanari responded quietly.

Heizou tapped his pen on his lips for a moment, thinking. "Have you had any prior experience with... child abuse?"

Kanari narrowed her eyes, giving the floor an extremely pointed look. "I don't see what that has to do with anything," she remarked, her volume rising by just a little.

"From your tone and response you seem to be rather acquainted with the topic," Heizou replied courteously. "I was merely—"

"I'm afraid we'll have to cut this short," the king interrupted, looking at Heizou. "My advisor and I have a rather busy schedule. I believe she has told you everything necessary? Any further questions can be sent to my personal desk." His signature smirk graced his lips, but his eyes remained dull.

Heizou gave the king a curt nod and stepped to the side, allowing Ayato to walk out of the room. He watched as Kanari followed the king, his expression a mixture of confusion, worry, and suspicion.