32. Loss Never Leaves You

The black ballpoint pen in Kanari's hand gleamed as sunlight hit the sleek surface. Shiny flecks that broke into countless hues danced in golden accents. As she stared at the far-too-fancy pen, however, its subtle beauty did not distract her from the undeniable presence of the court seated around the meeting table. 

"Our investigations have been successful," Sara announced, laying out a roughly sketched blueprint of what could only be the latest hideout discovered.

"The treasure hoarders have gone inactive for a few days now. There haven't been any new attacks."

"Are they preparing for something?"

"Is this their main bunker?"

A flurry of questions and answers passed around as all of the advisors in the room discussed the matter at hand intently. All of them except Kanari. She observed the exchanges of information blankly, not saying a word as she analyzed the conversations carefully. 

The sketches were muddled, incomplete. To attack now was incredibly risky. Kanari could not put someone else in such danger again. 

"This seems extremely risky. Is it worth it if we wait until we get a more solid place to stand on?" 

Ayato spoke softly, but nonetheless, his voice was heard. He glanced at Kanari, subtly aiming his question at her.

"It would be safer to wait, of course," Sara piped up, "but I am afraid that we would waste time we cannot afford to lose."

Kanari nodded slowly, acknowledging the general's insight. She ignored Ayato's persistent gaze on her, spinning the pen around her fingers as she thought. 

"I thought there weren't any new attacks in the past few days," she commented, no trace of malice in her tone.

"They might be taking this time to plan a bigger attack, maybe on the city itself. We should take advantage of this calm before the storm before they get a chance to initiate," explained Sara. 

Kanari had to admit, she had a point. The longer they took to make a move, the higher the chances of something big happening. Something bad. The faction that was the treasure hoarders had proven themselves capable of arson before, it wouldn't be impossible for them to try something similar. The past attacks were too well-thought and meticulous to just be sporadic attempts at thievery. Something bigger was at play.

"It would be very risky, though, General Kujou. The knights are trained to follow orders. They might not be able to improvise," said one bold court official. He swept his greying black hair to the side, making the wrinkles on his forehead visible. Kanari recalled faintly that his name was something along the lines of Lord Shibata. 

"Some knights can improvise," Sara argued. Her eyes shifted to Kanari for only a fraction of a second, but the implication was clear. Ayato frowned slightly, evidently having not missed the gesture.

It was obvious to Kanari, now, what she had to do. 

"I could go with the attack patrol."

There was a moment of stunned silence as everyone remembered her knightly origin. Ayato was the only one to move, furrowing his brows as he stared at her.

"No." 

That was all he answered with.

"Your Majesty, with all due respect, I must remind you that I might've been able to bring the attack to victory had I gone last time," Kanari said, not yielding to his glare. "We'd have higher chances of success if I'm on the team."

It wasn't something she wanted to say out loud, really. It was so terribly egotistical, yet she could not leave the poor souls that would be in that patrol. If it failed, she would be partially responsible. Again.