19. This Is Definitely A Bad Idea

As the morning light flickered through the window, Ayato groaned frustratedly, his head in his hands. He ran his fingers through his now messy hair with annoyance. Kanari could only watch the king frown at his work, tense and alert. His behavior was unusual, and thus, unpredictable. She'd learned a long time ago that no matter how close you were to someone, no matter what you meant to them, irritated people were dangerous in all the worst ways.

She kept sneaking glances at Ayato as they continued working, keeping an apprehensive eye on him. He seemed busy sketching something on a piece of parchment, consistently erasing and tracing, over and over. Eraser shavings were scattered all over his desk and floor, having been brushed away mercilessly.

Suddenly, Ayato slammed a hand down on the table, making Kanari flinch. She tried not to jump, but that was nearly impossible to do. Stupid instincts. The king glanced at her, eyes wide.

"Sorry," he murmured, leaning back in his chair, his eyes shutting. "Why is drawing so hard, Kanari? Yet, a picture is worth a thousand words."

Kanari relaxed a little and looked back down at the paper before her. The inked words on crisp parchment looked so innocent, but their collective meaning gave a very different impression.

"A report came in, Your Majesty," she began quietly, her eyes still on the file. She was somewhat reluctant to continue due to the king's bad mood.

"What does it say?" Asked Ayato, grimacing as if he already knew what she would inevitably tell him.

She sighed softly. "There's no update on the bandit attacks. They're still frequent and organized. There aren't any new leads or progress on infiltrating their ranks."

"None?" Ayato slumped in his seat, looking utterly defeated. He sat still for a second, Kanari staring at him nervously, waiting for a verdict.

"That's it," he declared loudly. Without warning, his eyes burst open, and he leapt up from his chair. He grabbed whatever he was drawing and folded the piece of paper in half, then in half again, his nimble fingers pressing the lines skillfully. Slipping the paper into his pocket, he sauntered over to Kanari's desk, placing his hands firmly on her table. Strands of light-blue hair dangled in the air as he leaned ever so slightly toward her.

"I'm taking a break."

The only response Kanari could give to such a statement was a blank stare and a slow blink. King Ayato? Take a break? The man would work from five in the morning to midnight if his sister was lenient with his health. She looked at him carefully, trying to decipher an ulterior motive in his actions.

"Of your own volition?" She finally asked, after a long moment of silence.

"Of course?" Ayato shot back, mock surprise on his face. His lips curved in his signature smirk, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Who are you and what have you done to King Ayato?" She said weakly, staring at him with a mix of worry and confusion.

Ayato only chuckled at her remark, looking away for a moment. "I'm going for a walk in the city, disguised," he said, looking back into his advisor's cerulean eyes.

Kanari's worry immediately quadrupled, and she looked at the man before her incredulously.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" She asked, her tone doubtful.

"Of course it is," Ayato replied smugly. "All my ideas are good."

"You egotistical blueberry," she muttered under her breath, shaking her head.