33. Practice Makes Imperfect

The cloak of darkness offered by night's embrace was perfect for those who wished to remain hidden. On this particular night, a jarring half-moon hung high in the sky, drifting along its destined path. The stars that should've accompanied it were all but blocked out by the thick layer of clouds that floated eerily still, as if they were mere oils painted onto the sparkling backdrop of the city.

The obvious lack of a breeze only vaguely crossed Kanari's mind as she waited for the rest of the patrol to get ready. She donned a jet-black outfit, not unlike the kind that the layperson would imagine assassins and spies wearing. A layer of chainmail was hidden underneath the cloth, provoking ominous questions as to why such a precaution was even necessary. Not quite the typical flashy armor a knight would wear during the day, but it did the job.

Tucked under an arm was a slightly rusted helmet, which served to protect her head and hide her pale hair. Whilst in her other hand, leather reins were twisted tightly around her gloved fingers. A chestnut stallion was tied to those reins, snorting impatiently as it waited for Kanari's orders.

"Be patient, boy," she whispered, perhaps warning herself a little as well. Nine other people were on the team, and yet only four of them were standing outside of the stables with their horses. Kanari watched as a fifth joined the crowd, slipping in with the rest of them with ease. As always, she observed them from afar, watching their informal interactions with a stoic expression etched on her face.

The horse gave a short whinny in response, which made Kanari raise an eyebrow. The corners of her mouth curved up slightly as stared back at the stallion. Animals were much easier to converse with, if she were being honest. Though they could not speak, body language was enough to communicate their similar emotions.

"I know. They're taking their time, aren't they?" She remarked, looping the straps around her arm as her hand slipped down to her hip. "I do wish they'd hurry up so this can just be all over."

Her fingers found the hilts of the two weapons sheathed to her belt, and she pulled out the one and held it up to her eye level. Her dagger. She did have a rapier, but a dagger proved time and time again of how useful it could be.

Kanari watched the light dance on the shining blade as she twirled it around masterfully, the years spent training with such weapons evident in her movements. As she stood there, waiting for the others, a feeling of nostalgia washed over her. She didn't really understand how much she missed being a knight until she was put in the position again. The cool night air, the swish of the blades, the shines of the helmets, the exhilarating thrill of being in control. She really did miss it. A lot.

Not for the first time since Ayato had pinned her to the wall yesterday, she thought about resigning. It would be simple, really. One letter dropped on a desk, and she'd never need to see that bastard's face again! It would be for the best. No matter how much she found herself liking the king, if she just stayed away, her feelings would eventually go away. She would become a knight again, room with Kokomi, spend her days patrolling and her nights with her friends, occasionally visiting Miko and Ei.

But then she remembered Ruu.

What would've been of that boy had she not been there?

If she were royal advisor, maybe, just maybe, she could make it up for how badly she broke her family. All the people her father had hurt, maybe she could balance it all out somehow. She could guide the kingdom from the shadows. Yes, that was a nice thought. After everything that happened, she couldn't possibly run away to a nice new life as if in a dreamscape. Her childhood failures had to be compensated for. Until then, happiness was not a luxury she deserved.

She held up her dagger at such an angle that half the blade lit up, illuminating her face. As she stared at it, she suddenly became aware of the figure standing in the window. It was no surprise that the palace still had lights on, even at this late hour. Though at this point, most of the rooms would drape curtains over their windows. This room in particular, however, had drawn them, letting yellow light spill all over the section of the courtyard the stables were located in.