15. The House Of The Lost And Found

The carriage ran smoothly along the roads of Inazuma, bouncing only on the occasional stone. Kanari watched the city pass by through the window, her hands clenched around the edges of her blue velvet seat. The ever-familiar buildings were similar, yet different at the same time. Each maintained the same royal blue tiled roof and dark wooden walls, but their structures and shapes varied immensely.

The view became a blur as Kanari's thoughts swept her away. She wondered how the orphanage would change after all those years. The headmaster during her time was kind, befitting the role of someone who ran a house of seemingly lost children. Now, there was a new headmaster. Would he be as good-natured?

The carriage bounced, snapping Kanari from her pondering. A strange feeling of being watched encompassed her. Flicking her eyes in the king's direction, she saw that he was indeed staring intently at her. Their eyes met for only a second before he turned away, the tips of his ears faintly red. Kanari felt her own face grow warm and continued staring out the window, though her thoughts were nowhere near the lovely scenery now.

They pulled into a circular courtyard, passing through an iron gate not nearly as nice as the palace's one. The carriage halted in front of a long multi-storied building and a footman leapt to open the door. Kanari squeezed her eyes shut for a moment and sighed.

The king exited first, hopping down to the ground gracefully. To Kanari's surprise, he turned around, extending his hand as if to help her. She hesitated for a moment, before leaping down herself, her hands firmly in her jacket pockets. Ducking under the king's arm, she walked out behind him and stared blankly at the building before her.

Ayato looked at her, slight disappointment on his face, but it disappeared as soon as she glanced at him.

"This place hasn't changed that much," remarked Kanari, looking at the weathered structure before her. Though it had been eight years since she'd left this place, the outside still remained the same, if a little more worn.

A lady dressed in a blue kimono patterned with pink flowers walked up to them. She bowed, her black bangs bouncing on her head.

"I am Hiiragi Chisato, a caretaker here," she said, smiling cheerfully. "The director asked me to show you inside, Your Majesty."

Ayato returned her smile politely and nodded, gesturing for her to lead the way. Kanari crossed her arms and trailed behind as they walked into the building. The entrance hall was as she remembered. The black and white checkered floor shone, as if it was newly polished. The wooden walls were bleak and unadorned, a contrast from the exquisite palace.

Three corridors split off from the main hall. If Kanari remembered correctly, the one on the left and right led to the classrooms, while the middle one led to the cafeteria, the dorms, and various other rooms.

"This is the main hall," Chisato began, stopping so that the king and Kanari could take a look at the desolate place. She glanced at the clock hanging above the archway of the middle corridor. "Actually, it is almost time for the children's—"

Suddenly, a multitude of children burst from a door down the left hall, their chatter replacing the quiet atmosphere from before. The three adults turned toward the commotion in unison, vastly different expressions on their faces.

The children walked along the hall, oblivious to the guests standing at the end of it. They joked around and talked with such ease that Kanari could only watch with envy. The smiles on their faces, still bright even though they went through the worst nightmares of many at a young age.

She wished she had their resolve.

Then, one of the children spotted the king standing there, a small smirk on his face. The ash-haired girl quickly pointed out the figures standing there to her friends, her voice hushed. The children's eyes widened, and they quickly tried to form some sort of orderly line. The king chuckled, obviously amused by their little display. Meanwhile, Kanari could only watch in horror as they walked in silence, their heads hung. Slowly, more children walked out from the rooms, initially cheerful, then quieting down once they saw the behavior of their peers.