5. Fresh As A Daisy, If Said Daisy Was Wilted

A soft rustling could be heard as the newly appointed royal advisor awoke from her slumber. Sunlight hadn't even begun to fill her room, yet her alarm clock signaled the start of the day, loud and clear. Kanari clicked off the alarm clock so it wouldn't continue ringing and sat in her new bed for a couple more moments. She admired the room that was now hers in the still darkness of early morning.

When she was shown her quarters yesterday evening, it was a magnificent sight to behold. Grander than any room she'd ever stayed in, it boasted of luxury. The cedar floors were polished to oblivion, and Kanari was yet to find a single speck of dust. There was a large wooden desk, where some of her belongings were already placed. A small chandelier of brass and copper hung from the ornate ceiling, showering the room with its light. Even the bathroom was glamorous, with its porcelain bathtub that reminded her of the one she'd blow bubbles in as a small child.

She wondered how they got it done so fast.

Shaking herself from her thoughts, Kanari stood up from the plush pillows and comfortable blankets, and made the bed. She flicked a switch and suddenly, the room was bathed in warm light. She continued with her morning routine, humming a tune she'd long forgotten the lyrics to as she did.

She stepped into the walk-in closet, eyeing the plethora of outfits hanging on the sides. There were silk dresses and cotton shawls, each a unique hue. On the wall opposite of the doorway sat cabinets in which Kanari presumed were filled with accessories. She opened each one slowly, investigating her new belongings with care. As expected, shiny shoes for every occasion lined the bottom cabinet, while the upper ones were filled to the brim with socks, stockings, scarves, gloves, you name it.

Kanari browsed her options, scoffing at the fancy gowns clearly made for parties and royal balls. She found a couple that she liked, but were still too lavish for everyday life. Finally, she stumbled upon a row of well-tailored jackets and the like. She dressed herself in a small blue and white dress, and a royal blue jacket. Gold lined the edges of her outfit and shone on the buttons. She stared at herself in the mirror for a moment, before swiftly leaving the closet.

The rest of her routine went without a single hiccup. As the clock showed ten minutes till six, Kanari left the room in a hurry, the king's daily schedule in her arms. She only brought a notepad and a fountain pen, where she had jotted down the king's schedule yesterday. She also drew a rough map of the palace's interior in it. The entirety of the place was like a labyrinth. It would certainly take her weeks to know and get used to, so now she had to rely on the map.

She took the quickest route to the royal dining hall, where she was now expected to have her meals at. The door creaked as she entered the room. A long table sat in the middle, its surface covered with a baby blue tablecloth. Kanari could see it seating dozens of ambassadors from various foreign lands, its joints creaking under the weight of the banquets it hosted. On her left, large windows displayed a view of the sun rising, slowly filling the room with its golden rays.

The door behind her shut with a soft click, and she stood there for a moment, unsure where to go. She stared at the man sitting at the far end of the table, merrily buttering his bread like he hadn't a care in the world. He glanced up at Kanari, and quickly gestured to the seat to his left—her right.

She walked down the hall, her black heels clicking against the polished marble. She bowed as she reached the end, before sitting down on the chair before her. She stared at the table for a moment, unsure what to do.

There were piles of pastries and various morning delicacies strewn on the table. Crispy strips of bacon sat alongside shiny sausages and ham. Heaps of berries and cream wobbled on fluffy pancakes that looked lighter than air itself. In the middle, scrambled eggs were laid on a ceramic plate, wisps of smoke hovering above, singing of its warmth. Last but not least, toast and other baked goods were displayed on a stand that Kanari thought was more suited for afternoon tea. There were tarts stuffed to the brim with fruit filling, hugged by golden crusts. Sweet smelling muffins studded with blueberries lined the bottom layer, while éclairs drenched in rich chocolate were perched above.