Cory Lewis

My legs burned. I had been peddling for two hours before I stopped. I was at the hospital. I chained my bike to the bike rack and went inside.
Lavender was asleep. It was the middle of the night, after all. I sat in a chair near her bed and stared at her. She looked so peaceful. She woke up, sensing my gaze.
"Uncle Cory? What are you doing here?" She asked, tired.
"I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to go," I said. "You're the only other one who knows."
"What happened? Is Anubis okay?"
"I saw one of his victims," I blurted. "In the trunk of our car."
She was silent.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come," I said.
"No, I'm glad you came to me. Most people think I'm too fragile to be treated like an adult," She replied. "But not you."
"I've seen dead bodies dozens of times, but this one was different. I expect to see them at work, but not at home," I said. "I love him but I don't know if I can do this anymore. I was going to propose."Lavender's mouth dropped.
"You were?"
"Yeah," I sighed, lowering my head so she wouldn't see me cry. I was supposed to be strong for her, not the other way around.
"Cory," She said. "Do you really love him?"
"Of course I do."
"Then you can work through this."
"I forget you're twelve sometimes," I chuckled.
"When you're so close to death, you have to grow up fast." she chuckled to herself,
I laid on the bed next to her and held her close. "I'm sorry."
"I know," She whispered.