Anubis Cortez

I sprinted. I didn't know where I was going, I just knew I couldn't stay there with them. I didn't get scared easily, but they terrified me.
My phone buzzed, and I pulled it out and checked it, hoping it was Cory. It wasn't.
'If you don't take care of that sewer rat, I will. I'm giving you a chance to prove your love and dedication to me. I love you. Come back to me soon, my love.'
I threw my phone. How dare they tell me to kill the only one who keeps me sane.
But if it happens, I'd rather he see my face last, not theirs.
I was across the street from Ricci's, Cory's favorite Italian restaurant. I walked in smelling the aromas. It reminded me of our first date. I love him so much. I walked up to the front counter. There wasn't a hostess, but there was a tip jar. I looked around; No one was paying attention to me. I reached in, and grabbed all the cash my hands touched, and walked out. If they saw me, they didn't say anything.
I walked to another block, and waved down a taxi.
"Where to?" The driver asked.
"Dignity Hospital."
It was a 20 minute drive, and I just barely had enough money.
I ran inside Lavender's room. When she saw me, she scowled. She was pissed.
"What is wrong with you?" She yelled.
"Something happened. I don't know what to do."
"I know what happened. Cory visited me already," She said.
"He told you?" I asked, baffled.
"Yes. How could you be so stupid?"
I wanted to cry, my sister didn't even want to hear me out.
"Please, just listen, I have an explanation."
"What possible explanation would justify that?!" She yelled.
"Money, Lav, so much money. Cory wouldn't even feel it; He would just see me, he loves me. It would be okay, we would be okay."
"Feel it?" She asked, concerned. "What did you do?"
"Nothing! Didn't he tell you? He took the gun from me and left; Drunk, and hating myself. The only reason I'm still here is to take care of you. I loathe what I did."
"Anubis Felipe Cortez, what the hell did you do?" She pressed.
"Bad things; Bad, bad things."
"That's not helpful. Be specific."
"I almost killed him," I shuddered at the memory. "I held a gun to his head."
My voice wavered. I didn't want to cry. I didn't deserve it.
"I almost fulfilled a hit on my boyfriend."
"Stop. Get rid of all contact with clients-"
"I CAN'T!" I screamed.
I've never screamed at her before. I didn't know what came over me.
"Don't yell at me, you're not Dad." she said, rolling her eyes.
I was stunned. We promised to never talk about either of our parents again.
"I'm the closest thing you have to one. If you lose me, you have no one."
"That's not true I have-"
"If you lose me, you have no one!"
She started tearing up, "You need to leave. Now. Or I'll ask security to remove you and you won't be allowed back."