CH 7- After Hours

A week later.

Today's training was going well. We have our first game next week, so all the players are working really hard. Carmen and I were sorting out some documents and filling in paper work today. Admin duties were also part of our job.

We were sitting in the technical area when halfway through, Gavi came over.

"Hey guys", he said smiling.
"Hey Gavi", I said.
Carmen smiled but didn't say anything. I could tell his presence made her shy.
"What's up?" I said to him.
"Nothing much. I just strained my shoulder diving for the ball, so coach wants me to sit out for the rest of today" He chuckled.
"Oh...are you okay?", Carmen said softly.
"Yeah I am," he said turning to her. "It's just a spot ive injured before so they want me to take it easy".

"Come sit here", I said, pulling out a chair for him next to Carmen. She grabbed another chair for his leg to rest on.
"Thanks both of you". He said smiling.
"Do you need any ice?" Carmen asked.
Gavi replied "Im okay for now, thankyou though". He smiled at her.

I was good at talking to anyone, so I started the conversation with him, and made sure Carmen was included. Once I started, I could tell those two were less awkward-especially with each other.

I observed the way they were talking to each other. Nervous, shy, giggly at times. It was cute.
I knew Carmen had a tiny crush on him, but did Gavi like her as well?

I could tell Gavi was touching his sore spot alot. I also knew this was a good chance to give them some time together. "Hey, I'll be right back. I need to go the bathroom, and I'll get you an icepack".
"Thanks Y/N", he smiled.

I smiled at Carmen, giving her a wink when Gavi didn't see. She gave me a nervous smile back.

I walked inside. After I finished from the bathroom, I went to grab an icepack.
As I was walking back, I heard my uncle shout "Y/N, come over here mi amor".
I walked over "Yeah?"

"I need you to stay back tonight and help one of our players. You just need to help with his training. Just use the stopwatch and time him, until he reaches some of his personal bests."
"Sure," I nodded.
"He just needs to work a little bit harder. Him and his girlfriend had a rough breakup a few weeks ago, and I think it's still affected him. He just needs to push himself a bit more." My uncle said.

Huh? Who was he talking about?

"And it didn't help that the story made it to the news. Everyone knew, which only made it worse for him."

No.
No. NO.
It couldn't be.
I was not going to be left alone with him.

I can't. I simply couldn't.
I had successfully gone a week without even looking at him. But now I have to have an after-hours training session with him? Alone?

Kill me now...

"Gonzalez", My uncle shouted, "Get over here".

He ran over.
I didn't look at him.

"My niece is staying back with you. She'll help out and make sure you complete the training activities". Xavi said.
"Is Carmen able to do this instead? Im sure she'll be better at helping". I asked.
"I asked Carmen to take Gavi home mi amor", My uncle said. "His shoulder hurts a lot, and he won't be okay to drive. And I have meetings all evening so I can't either".

Damn.
But also.... Damn! My girl had the opportunity to be alone with the guy she has a small crush on.

"How long did you want me to stay back for?" I heard him say.
Through the corner of my eye I could see him running his fingers through his sweaty hair.
"Ive written down everything you need to get through tonight, it should take you an hour or two".
I groaned quietly.
My uncle didn't hear, but I could tell Pedri did.

As I walked back to Carmen and Gavi, Carmen was talking.

I noticed the way Gavi was looking at her. There was something there. He had a smile on his face, and all his attention was on her. Even when she would look down or play with her fingers while talking, he was looking at her and smiling.

I felt horrible interrupting, I had to give him his ice pack though, and it was nearing towards the end of the session anyway.

"Thanks Y/N, he said when I gave it to him, as he began icing his shoulder.

"No worries", I said, taking my seat.
"What's up?" Carmen said, placing a hand on my shoulder. She knew something was wrong.
"Oh nothing", I put on a smile, trying to insist I was ok.
"Y/N...." she said, eyes widening. Gavi was listening too.

"Trust me I'm fine", I nodded. I couldn't tell Carmen what was wrong in this moment, because Gavi was friends with Pedri, and it was my job to remain professional. I decided I would text or call her later about it anyways.

Training had ended, and Eric Garcia came over, saying that he'll take Gavi home.
"Oh uh, my uncle told Carmen to take him. Thanks anyway." I said quickly.
I did not want anything to ruin their time alone together tonight.

"Oh good" he said relieved. "I was just trying to be nice. I actually have a date tonight."
We all laughed.

While Gavi was talking to Eric, I told Carmen she'll be okay. "You'll be fine bestie," I said. "It's okay to feel nervous. He's cute, but don't forget how beautiful you are."

She smiled nervously. "Thanks Y/N. I love you."
"Love you too" I squinted.

"Ready?" Gavi said, looking at Carmen.
She nodded.

"Let's go" he said.

As I said goodbye to them, I saw Pedri make his way onto the field.
I braced myself for what was to come.
But I was dreading this.

He was the last person I wanted to be around.