Chapter 27: Peace

Hawaii, Alpha

The tranquil island of Hawaii basked in the morning light, seemingly unperturbed by the clandestine activities of a certain group of agents. Brimstone stirred from his slumber with the ease of a well-oiled machine. Decades of waking up early had honed this routine into an almost unshakable habit, making him always the first man to see the sunset each day. The rest of the team still lay soundly asleep, their bodies strewn haphazardly across the floor and couches, reminiscent of the aftermath of a raucous sleepover.

Brimstone made himself a cup of coffee, relishing in the rich aroma of freshly brewed beans. As he entered the spacious living room of the beach house, his gaze fell upon the sleeping forms of his comrades. A smile tugged at the corners of his lips as he observed their childlike state of slumber, their worries forgotten.

"Enjoy it while you still can, guys" he mumbled to himself, his voice a low rumble. Brimstone knew that this idyllic moment would be short-lived, but he would relish in the peace as much as possible. He took a moment to survey his surroundings, taking in the beauty of the island that surrounded him. The gentle lapping of waves against the shore provided a soothing backdrop to the morning, the perfect accompaniment to his coffee.

As he sipped his brew, Brimstone allowed himself to be consumed by the tranquility of the moment. His gaze shifted once again to his sleeping teammates, their peaceful visages a stark contrast to the danger that they had dealt with. But for now, they could rest easy, and Brimstone intended to do the same.

The resonant thuds of ponderous footsteps echoing across the sandy beach drew Brimstone's attention, his gaze drifting toward the shoreline. Standing there, his gargantuan frame barely ankle-deep in the water, was Tyberos, towering over the sands like an immovable monolith. Always a study in stillness, he remained motionless, his unwavering gaze seemingly fixed on some distant point beyond the horizon.

Recollections of yesterday flooded Brimstone's mind, when Tyberos had suddenly disappeared into the water, arousing suspicions of foul intentions among the agents. However, as he had emerged from the water, he had confounded them all by revealing that he had been intently observing the teeming aquatic life below, his fascination for the fishes being the reason.

As Brimstone looked at the massive silhouette of the monstrous Astartes on the beach, he began to think what sort of wars he had fought, what was he like before he became this? Or Ranesk even.

Ever since he had heard tales from Ranesk of how Astartes were made, the battles they had fought, and the different types of space marines that existed from the universe he was in. He was fascinated, for people like Ranesk and Tyberos to exist in the hundreds of thousands.

But now, these men literally made to be living weapons would get a taste of peace, a time where they would have absolutely no need for their weapons, or their alertness all the time. This was a time where the two space marines would relish in true peace.

Brimstone watched as Tyberos made his way towards the beach house, his massive frame casting a formidable shadow upon the sandy shores. Having concluded his business, the gargantuan figure of Tyberos was now heading for the house. In response, Brimstone took it upon himself to venture into the kitchen and brew another round coffee, ensuring that the agents would be greeted by the invigorating scent upon their awakening.

-------------------------------------------

As if by some miracle, these men, honed and refined into living weapons, would finally know the true meaning of peace. No longer would they have to be on constant guard, their senses heightened and their weapons at the ready. The very thought of it filled them with a sense of awe and wonder.