Chapter 35: Bloodlust

The tumultuous upheaval that had laid waste to the urban expanse had been christened as a theater of war by the Government. In a bid to alleviate the plight of the beleaguered citizens, military contingents were dispatched to reinforce the SWAT squads, who were already in the thick of it. Reports had trickled in of a colossal, armor-clad man leading an insurrectionist force of a thousand and four agents of the Valorant Protocol. Many had raised objections and hurled accusations at the tardiness of the government's response, opting to rely solely on the local constabulary to quell the unrest. However, even though it was long overdue, it was far preferable to no intervention at all. The people, while still aggrieved, found some solace in the arrival of the military reinforcements.

The force that has been dealing with the chaos of the city, has managed to create a pathway for other government forces to come in, a highway still littered in garbage was now accessible. And with the pathway, they could now get supplies safely as well.

Thus far, the SWAT officers had managed to maintain a clean slate, devoid of any casualties amidst their ranks. The only fatalities that had accrued were those of the marauding pilferers who refused to acquiesce to the law enforcement's orders and opted to put up a futile resistance. Given the exasperation and animosity that simmered within the hearts of the SWAT operatives towards the despoilers who had ravaged the metropolis, they were all too eager to unleash a lethal salvo on the perpetrators.

Whilst the contingent spearheaded by the Valorant agents made significant headway in corralling hordes of offenders and insurgents, the force led by Ranesk was engrossed in a gruesome task of quantifying the number of lifeless bodies that littered the city's boulevards. The remains of the deceased were callously abandoned to rot in the open. A few members of the squad did raise their voices in protest, but Ranesk's response was swift and unequivocal - "It is not our responsibility." Meanwhile, those who were taken into custody were uncharacteristically compliant, refusing to utter a word, cowed by the gargantuan space marine that loomed menacingly over them.

The end of the crisis seemed to be in sight.

—------------------------------------

Jett's breaths came in ragged gasps as she wiped away the sweat that poured down her brow. Another day, another dozen criminals captured by the Valorant agents. To the seasoned operatives, this skirmish had been a minor ordeal compared to the usually more intense missions they were given, which were far more brutal. But Neon seethed with a barely suppressed fury that threatened to consume her. Every fiber of her being longed to unleash a hail of bullets on the prisoners, to sate the primal thirst for vengeance that burned within her. Yet, she held fast to her morals, refusing to give in to the savage demands of her instincts. "This'll all be over soon," Jett remarked with a bitter chuckle, those words seemed to have brought back her senses once more.

The resonant voice of Ranesk thundered through the radio, proclaiming that the eastern and southern sectors were cleared of any threats. "Status report," he demanded of his compatriots.

"We're almost done," Jett replied without hesitation, noting the end of the destruction in sight and only minor injuries to report.

"Good," Ranesk acknowledged with brisk efficiency. "Regroup at the SWAT headquarters. The government soldiers will take it from here."

"Copy that," Jett acknowledged, taking a deep breath as she prepared to transmit the orders to her squad.

With the comm channel momentarily quiet, Jett checked her knives and settled onto a debris pile, her thoughts racing with the swiftness of the combat that was drawing to a close. "All good on your end, guys?" she inquired, her voice calm and steady.