Chapter 2

❄️NotesThe crew head to Tooth's Palace.

Or maybe there was no hope for them at all.

Bunny huffed out a soft chuckle and sat back on his haunches on one of the lower balconies of Tooth's Palace, his tunnel closing behind him, letting himself acclimatise to the heat.

Every part of the Palace was beautiful. Soft pinks, warm oranges, pretty mosaic tiles covering each of the balconies built into the side of the mountain, leading all the way up to the main floor at the peak, all lit up by the burning hot sun in the cloudless sky.

That explained why Jack was standing on the edge of a balcony in front of him, a few levels up, far enough away for Bunny to shake his head at him in secret judgement.

The sprite had covered every inch of the balcony in snow, proudly grinning and pointing his staff at the lot, covering it in a layer of blue magic, no doubt to keep it from melting.

It was an impressive display in such sweltering heat. The temperature had to be closing in on fifty degrees. His powers should have been suffering, like any other winter spirit's power would be, but Jack wasn't like any other winter spirit he'd ever met. And now he was a Guardian.

The stronger his belief base became, the stronger he would be.

Bunny narrowed his eyes, noticing an interruption in the blue magic. Just for a moment.

"Oh no," he muttered. "Jack..."

He watched in horror as the staff slipped from Jack's grip, and he wobbled on his feet, holding his head.

Then, as if in slow motion, his body went limp.

*

The stupid sun in the stupid sky wasn't going to bring him down. Not today.

Jack was determined to make up for the Easter fiasco and since Tooth was happy to accept his help (unlike a certain overgrown rabbit, no matter how many times he apologised), he couldn't wait to get started.

The only problem was the unbearable heat! This was the reason he usually avoided places like Tooth's Palace, where Winter didn't really happen. He already felt wiped out, and he'd only been there for an hour.

When they'd had their brief visit before, he hadn't noticed just how stifling it was, but they'd spent a lot of that time shaded on the ground or flying through the air.

It didn't matter.

He wanted to do the work, and since he didn't want to be a melted puddle of mush by the end of the day...

He aimed his staff at the smooth cobbled balcony, grinning as he built a pile of fresh snow with just a little bit of magic to make it last in the heat.

It had been a while since he'd done this in a place so hot. A century or two? Hopefully Tooth wouldn't mind...

She wouldn't...

Just... a little snow...

Not much...

"Whoa..." he muttered, his head spinning and his vision clouding over, before going dark.

*

"Jack. What have you done to yourself, you little blighter?"

"Huh?" he blinked. "Bunny?"

Definitely Bunny.

The strong, furry arms holding him like he weighed nothing couldn't belong to anyone else. Neither could the silky chest he was nuzzling into...