Chapter 10

Day Two - Part One

Oblivious fools. They are both oblivious fools.

That scent.

Sweet like fresh berries and... and... maybe some herbs. Bunny pushed deeper into the cool softness beneath his nose, capturing more of it, tasting it. It was beautiful. Perfect.

Something above him made a pleasant sound and his tongue darted out again, just to hear it once more-

Wait.

Not something.

Someone made that noise.

His eyes shot open. White. Everywhere. He tried to sit up, but his head was stuck.

Panicking, he scrambled back, tugging his head free of...

Jack's t-shirt.

He'd been snuggled under Jack's t-shirt, sleeping on his stomach.

He'd been scenting Jack's skin. He'd licked...

Bunny threw himself from the bed, just managing to balance with both feet on the wooden floor, his breath caught in his throat.

Why were they in bloody bed together? Had he lost his damn mind?

His useless morning brain muddled through the last twenty-four hours at a snail's pace.

The Pole. They were at the Pole, trapped in a guest room.

Held captive and we have a curfew? We're being spoiled!

That's right.

Jack had been foolishly determined to get the sap off his back, grooming him like he was a kit.

Chilly fingers gliding through his thick coat, so careful and gentle and focused on their mission...

He hated to admit it, but it had been incredibly soothing.

He must have fallen asleep.

Bunny touched his back, surprised to find the sap completely gone. His fur was smooth, silky even, not a touch of stickiness left. It felt better than before he hit the tree. Jack must have carried on long after he'd fallen asleep.

An odd warmth settled in his chest.

Jack didn't have to do any of this. He could have just let Bunny cut the mat out. He didn't need-

Jack groaned, a hand creeping under his t-shirt, pushing it up and displaying his skinny hips, cheeks flushed a sleepy pale blue.

Bunny moved a little closer.

His hair was spread out messily over the pillow, his eyelashes long and dark, his lips slightly parted... Even dishevelled and dead to the world, he was ethereally beautiful.

Bunny jumped as another soft noise left the sleeping sprite.

W-What was he thinking?

Jack was a mouthy terror. That was all.

He rubbed his eyes with his thumb and forefinger. It was too early in the morning for this. He needed to acclimate to the day, and quickly.

Ignoring his reddening ears, he swiftly took the blankets on either side of Jack and tossed them over him.

That didn't help Bunny though. Jack's scent was everywhere.

He couldn't smell anything else.

Why couldn't he smell anything else?