The Unburying

We reached home and the next day my wife departed to hers, Najibabad. I sent her with some homework – the work that could be done best alone.

I texted her to access one of my accounts on Microsoft's OneDrive. That account was created a long time ago but was inactive for two years. This account had many things to surprise her.

'Do come home when you finish your homework, go through the folders in a sequence.' I texted her on WhatsApp.

This drive account had a collection of Aisha's photos, some chat backups saved in text formats, and some special recordings. I needed Simran to know briefly about the girl that she was about to hear.

'Impressive Collection.' She texted back at night.

'This is the beginning of the story. You were just listening to the trailer till now.' I texted back.

She didn't reply, nor did I ask how she felt, I was just waiting for her to come prepared.

I have often heard people saying that no one can understand a woman. I suppose this sentence is gender discriminating, it should instead say, no one can understand a person with a puzzled mind or a mysterious person.

In my case that person was me.

I know my wife that she takes time before making up her mind and I always give her that space so that she can come to her own decision. Being sentimental she is afraid of situations that force her to take decisions, scared of being hurt.

Professional people are predictable; it's the amateurs who are dangerous.

She came after three days without prior intimation. I came home in the evening after delivering lectures to students, I saw her sitting with my mom watching TV, and it was a very refreshing moment. She looked normal, she welcomed me with tea which we enjoyed together, and we chatted about her home and mother.

I was arranging my stuff in my room and suddenly she came and locked the room from inside.

'Haven't smelt your fragrance for the past four days, come and hold me tight.' She came close.

Pleasantly surprised, I quickly regained my senses and ran towards her lifting her into my arms. We made love, she was lying in my arms.

'I know that girl, Aisha, she is from this village, I've seen her once last year.' She said.

'Did you?' I asked.

'Yes, last year, when your cousin and I went to the market, I saw her returning.' She said.

'Did she see you?' I asked.

'We glanced at each other for a moment. She is a very pretty girl.' She said.

'You think so.' I asked curiously.

'Why are you not feeling uncomfortable discussing her?' I countered her.

'Why should I? She wasn't in love with you.' She said.

'Hmm, so you read all of it!' I wondered aloud.

'No actually, I read a little, then I searched the words and some phrases 'love', 'together forever.', 'made for each other.', 'can't live without you.' in all the chats and no match was found and this indicates that neither you proposed to her nor did she say anything like love. Seems you were her fan, collecting her pictures and some edited videos.' She said.

'You should've read all.' I said.

'I don't want to read, I just want to hear it from you, written words can be fake but the spoken words with expression tell the real tale.' She insisted.