DIECINUEVE

CHAPTER NINTEEN: STALKED

He couldn't kill me.

Knowing that snippet of information was deadly in my hands because I wanted to provoke him. It was like a chemical reaction going off in my brain, I couldn't control it or think about anything other than making him suffer.

How far could I take it before he snapped, I wondered. How much would I have to taunt him before he revealed the reason why?

The grand clock in the entrance hall ticked away, everything running routinely, men piling into the business suite one by one. It only meant one thing, someone was going to die today.

In my mind they were compared to a hologram, each one the same as the other. Suits and egos, not a genuine smile in sight, walking in slow and then sitting poised around a table as if caught in some sort of simulation.

They would only ever glitch the matrix by looking at me strangely before entering the room, but only briefly and in that moment I wouldn't react at all, keeping my face straight and impassive, holding their gaze.

They all had no clue either. 

Aries and Grimes came walking around the corner, both with their heads down studying the papers in their hands. They also eyed me up, but unlike all of the others they stopped in their tracks.

"Go find something to do." Aries spoke to me with such a bored tone. I was a nuisance to him and that's good, because I wasn't about to make it easy.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Go and find something to do." He repeated, slower this time as if speaking to an inconceivable idiot.

He walked off, leaving absolutely no time for me. Instead, he closed the doors, shutting his meeting off entirely. The bang echoed throughout the empty hall and I used the backlash of sound to mask the noise of my footsteps, pressing my ear close to the door so I could listen in.

"Peter Graham, 28, Caucasian male." Aries was directing the conversation, that much I could hear. "Peter is a special forces FBI agent, he has access to data most of the other assassins don't.
Elimination is not an overnight job for this man, it will take time and careful precision. Let's take a few weeks to accumulate information, I want an in-depth background check done on him. Where does he spend his time, who does he know, what is he spending his money on. Find out how traceable he is to those around him, who will miss him when he's gone. He's your number one priority."

My lips twitched, fighting a smile as I pushed the double doors open for a dramatic entrance.

"And here I was thinking protecting me was the number one priority." I walked around the table,
running my fingers through one man's hair to mess it up, swiping the dust off another man's shoulder pads and blowing a kiss to Grimes.