VEINTIDOS

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: LUXTONBURG

Ignoring every protest he hurled my way, I managed to somehow get him settled back onto my bed.

He looked exhausted but he was adamant he wanted to get back out there and 'finish off' Peter the FBI agent.

I knew he would never give himself the time to fully heal and recover but if I could buy him one more day of resting then I'd feel more accomplished.

"You know, you should really get a proper doctor to take a look at you." I touched his gauze tenderly, it was clean and dry but peeling at the corner where the bathwater had obviously soaked the adhesive.

"That can't happen." He shut down my suggestion immediately. "Your nursing abilities will just have to make do."

I rolled my eyes at him, "you could just say thank you."

He went quiet, clenching his jaw like he was frustrated with himself and I waited for the gratitude that would never come.

"I didn't ask for you to save my life."

I shook my head in disbelief, "why are you like this? You're so—so—infuriating." I grabbed a clean bandage and marked it up against his skin ready to cut to size. "Being nice isn't a weakness you know?"

His eyes remained hooked on mine, so dark and cold like the deepest depths of an unexplored ocean. He didn't get the chance to answer me before our conversation was interrupted by his ring tone.

"Can't really talk right now Linds." He side-eyed me, uncomfortable about me being so close to him and overhearing his conversation.

I continued cutting out his bandage, intentionally not taking the hint that he wanted privacy because I wanted to eavesdrop.

"Just checking you've booked your plane ticket."

"Listen, I have some bad news. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to make it this time, work is crazy at the moment."

"Are you fucking joking Aries?!"

She blew his ear off with her rage. I could hear every word loud and clear. He looked tired of her, tired of the phone call, the battle, his life.

"You haven't been home in three years. He misses you, do you know that? Do you even care?"

Aries snuck a look at me again, checking to see if I was listening. I pottered around with his bandage, ignoring him.

"Lindsay, I can't talk right now. I'll call you later or tomorrow."

"Don't you fucking dare hang up on me Aries. I'm here every day taking care of him. You know how heartbreaking it is to have to tell him continuously you're not coming to visit? You promised the Fourth of July. The whole family was looking forward to your visit. Be here."