That One Forbidden Question

Kara looked up from her notes to listen to what the Sleeper had to say about the ambush on New Years Eve.

"We're planning mass murder," the Sleeper said and Kara jotted that down on her little note pad. "With guns. Make sure to bring the finest."

"But it's only April..." Stevie, a newbie in the gang said.

Everybody glared at him because the first rule was never to interrupt important speech unless questions were allowed. This was why Kara never really liked rules anyways.

"We prepare. No matter how much we prepare, there will always pe a flaw. It's better to detect the flaws sooner than later," the Sleeper answered.

Kara always thought he was wise, so she jotted that down as well.

Stevie only sheepishly nodded and muttered an apology. 

Kara just sighed. Even though only four months past, she could feel guilt eating away at her. Those lives! All wasted just for her fathers schemes. Yet he was the only family, aside from Aru, she knew, and plus, Aru wasn't with her, so she only had the Sleeper to depend on these days. The Sleeper hardly let her visit Aru these days as well so Kara was starting to feel more serious and less fun now. There was no Aru to rub her off with the sarcasm and stuff.

Guilt like ants stealing food was slowly eating her. She did not like that analogy, yet that was exactly how she felt.

"Kara?" the Sleeper asked, breaking her from her trance. "Do you have questions?"

Kara bit her lip and but her little notepad done. "Yeah."

"Speak," the Sleeper ordered.

However, Kara didn't know what her question was. Yet she wanted to say the most obvious one, when it was probably forbidden.

"Why do we kill people?"