Chapter Twelve

After six weeks of back and forth with the JHC with lawyers, Y/n finally had a court date for her real hearing. She was allowed to change into proper clothes instead of appearing in her prison uniform. "Allow me to speak on your behalf. If you do it all yourself, the judge will be less likely to favor you." Y/n blankly stared at her lawyer as Toshinori entered the room. "Are you ready?" Y/n nodded and looked at herself before turning to the door and walking out. 

"All rise." Everyone stood as the judge walked in and sat down. "You may be seated." 

"Case number 2247. L/n Y/n vs The Japan Hero and Public Safety Commission." 

"Miss L/n is called to the stand, please give the Judge your case files." Y/n stood up and took the manilla folder her Lawyer handed her. Y/n took them to the Judge and handed the case files to the man before walking around the stand. The Judge looked over the files as Y/n got into the stand. "Miss L/n. Your case is the first of its kind I have faced. Please state what you wish to achieve from this." Y/n took a breath to steady herself and faced the microphone. 

"I wish to be rightfully released from Tartarus for the crimes I did not commit. I have only been let out to do undercover work for the JHPSC. I was wrongly imprisoned for a dangerous quirk that I had not intentionally used when I was seven years old." The Judge watched Y/n's expressions as she spoke. "Miss L/n, would you mind telling your story to the people of the court?" Y/n nodded and took a deep breath.

"I was found by a lesser-known hero when I was seven years old. I was in hysterics after my quirk manifested and I had used it unknowingly on a stray animal I had befriended. The hero who had found me calmed me down and talked to me about what happened. He called the JHPSC to take me in. They did not know what to do with me after finding out about the quirk I had just manifested, so they decided to put me in a containment facility to keep me from using my quirk against other people." Y/n stopped to take a sip of water.

"That was where I met Gran Torino. He helped me gain control over my quirk. When the JHPSC found out that I had learned to control my quirk, they tried to give me offers to work for them, which I refused many times. They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse when I was in my late teens. They told me they would send me to Tartarus unless I agree to work for them. They told me I would be paid and given a place to stay, but I would be monitored at all times and had to physically report in once every few days." 

"At first, I refused. I didn't want to do their dirty work. They sent me off to Tartarus, where I ended up being beaten nearly to death. They have multiple contacts in the prison, and they sent me a message. If I refused to work for them again, I would be bludgeoned to death by one of the guards. I finally caved in and agreed to work for them. For the last Twenty years, I have been forced to use my quirk to permanently silence those who opposed The Japan Hero and Public Safety Commission." Multiple soft gasps were heard throughout the courtroom. 

"Miss L/n, could you please disclose your quirk to the court?" 

"My quirk is called Palingenesis. I am able to take or give life." The Judge nodded at Y/n. "Can you tell the court why you have decided to take legal action against the JHPSC?"  

"The Japan Hero and Public Safety Commission ordered me to dispose of the infamous villain known as All for One. I demanded that in exchange for everything they have forced me to do so far and that assignment, I could be given the opportunity to live freely and peacefully. They drew up a contract, and I read it carefully before signing it."

"When I completed my assignment, I returned to them to tell them of my success. They then cuffed me and sent me to Tartarus, and burned any and all copies they had of any contracts I had signed for them."

"They didn't count on the fact that I kept a copy of every contract they forced my hand to sign. I left all of the copies in Toshinori Yagi's care. If you want them to be presented, my Lawyer has them." Y/n had told Toshinori where to find the copies she had stashed over the years. She couldn't keep them in the ratty apartment the JHC provided. Imagine his surprise when he pulled up the exact gravestone she told him to check. The Judge asked to see the copies and he called for a ten-minute recess so he could look them over.

"I told you to allow me to speak for you." Y/n shushed her lawyer and turned to Toshinori. "You did great. Just keep doing what you've been doing." The lawyer tapped Toshinori on the shoulder. "If you don't listen to me, you'll bomb this case and be sent back to Tartarus." Y/n rubbed her temples as she sighed. "Let me do what I can, if I need your help I'll ask. If I work with the Judge and am completely forthcoming and truthful, it won't be much of a fight with the JHPSC." The lawyer sighed in aggravation and the bell rang to signal that the recess was over.

"Now that we have had time to review the documents Miss L/n has brought forth, we will have to change this lawsuit into a criminal case. The three representatives for the JHPSC will be placed into custody by local law enforcement until this case has been closed. We will have to revisit this case on another day due to the change in the type of case. The court is adjourned." 

Word Count: 1,021