track five.

WARREN: It was a confusing time. For everyone.

✯✯✯

They held auditions for a new lead singer, but no one was bringing the same type of talent as Billy did. It was honestly laughable how bad most of the men were, which made all of their hopes of finding someone new become crushed.

✯✯✯

WARREN: (laughs and shrugs)

✯✯✯

"I feel like we've seen every bloody front man in the whole of California," Karen commented in annoyance once the last guy finished singing and left.

Eddie turned to look at her, shaking his head. "Not everyone," he voiced.

They all looked at him in confusion before Warren spoke up, "What?"

"I can do it, guys," Eddie pointed to himself.

"Yeah, Eddie..." Graham trailed off.

"I can do it," Eddie repeated more forcefully. "I can sing almost as good as him. Come on, just give me a chance."

"I mean, he's already up there," Warren pointed out quietly.

"I say let him do it," Stella vouched for him. "Can't be as bad as the others, right?"

Karen sighed, "All right. Give it a go."

Eddie nodded his head toward Stella gratefully and she grabbed her rhythm guitar, strumming it so he could start singing. "Come on, you can't be serious / Can't even take a joke / You can promise that the boat won't sink, but / Could you ever let it float?," Stella smiled as she kept on playing the guitar, thinking he sounded good; not as good as Billy, but definitely better than the other guys. "The sun is shining down on you / While the moon is getting bigger / You couldn't flip the switch then, baby / You couldn't pull the trigger."

"Whoo!" Stella clapped, letting go of the guitar so it hung from her neck.

"Hey, nice job, man," Warren complimented and Eddie smiled at the two of the them.

"Wait. We should probably hear him with Stell's background vocals, right?" Graham cut in, wanting to make sure their voices sounded decent enough together.

"Oh, yeah, right," Stella nodded, going over to stand next to Eddie.

"Here." Karen got up and grabbed the other microphone stand, setting it up for her but lowering the volume a bit so it sounded like the original version.

"Thanks," Stella said and Karen nodded at her, sitting back down. She then looked at Eddie. "You ready?"

Eddie nodded at her before she started strumming on the guitar again, allowing him to start singing. She came in every now and then at the end of each lyric to provide her backup vocals and the band couldn't deny that they sounded great together.

Their voices just melted into one another, making the song sound like it could be the original. It honestly sounded better than her and Billy's voices together, but they were conflicted since Billy's voice had been a lot stronger than Eddie's.

Stella watched him as Eddie sung the lyrics, almost forgetting to come in on some parts since she was so lost in the sound of his voice for some reason. His voice wasn't any special, but she found herself entranced by it somehow.

Once they had finished out the verse, the rest of them clapped for them. "Yeah, that was...pretty good," Graham admitted and Karen nodded in agreement, giving Stella a proud look.