FOUR

I tried not to look down in case I lost my balance. JJ and I saw no choice but to climb out the window, stand on the tiles and hold onto the wall. The cops came into the room and started tracking it. I looked out of the corner of my eye at JJ who kept his forehead pressed against the wall and his eyes closed, I guess trying to stay calm and not make any noise that would give us away.

"What are you doing?" John B was below us waiting for us to somehow get out of there safe and sound.

JJ motioned for him to keep quiet and in that motion something fell out of his back pants pocket causing a small clatter. As we were startled my feet slipped a little causing me to let out a small squeal.

In a couple of seconds the window blinds were pulled up and I could see Shoup peek through the closed window. I hoped that John B had hidden in time and hadn't been caught. It seemed that way when suddenly Shoup came back into the room. We waited a few more seconds and seeing that there was no sign of movement JJ was encouraged to poke his head out of the window a little.

"They're gone." JJ's words made me let out a sigh of relief that I didn't know I was holding back. "I'm going to jump."

The dull sound made by JJ's impact against the ground signaled that it was now my turn. I turned slowly and visualized him and John B waiting for me. I was starting to get vertigo and didn't look capable.

"Come on Ginny, I've got you." John B spread his arms wide so that as I jumped I could cushion my fall well.

I took a deep breath and picked up some momentum so I could jump better, but just as I propelled myself I twisted my ankle and didn't land in the best way. I closed my eyes waiting for the impact but some arms held me.

"Gotcha." Opening them I found JJ's eyes locked on me. He set me down slowly without losing eye contact.

"Thank you." the adrenaline was still in my system. I turned to John B and hugged him tightly. He deposited a chaste kiss on my lip and stroked my hair.

"You're a complete Pogue Gina." I let out a small laugh. Hearing JJ's throat clearing behind us we focused our attention on him.

"Come on romantic club, let's get out of here before we get caught."

We advanced to the HSM as fast as we could. So far no one had noticed our presence there and we were not prepared to test the consequences if they did. As soon as we got in the boat Pope started the engine and we were out of the place in no time. It had been complete madness.

"Did you guys find anything?" Pope asked JJ and me. Right now the attention was on us.

"Did we find anything? No..." JJ rummaged through his pants pulling out a wad of bills and the gun we found in the safe. I couldn't help but widen my eyes in surprise. "Wow look, yeah."

"What the fuck?" exclaimed Pope on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

"JJ why the fuck did you take that?" this time I spoke up, I specifically asked him not to take anything, but there was JJ being JJ.

"Practically it's evidence of a possible crime."  Kiara smacked JJ on the arm in a gesture of indignation. He groaned and stroked her arm.

"Goodbye to my scholarship of excellence."

"Pope don't be so dramatic." John B opened his mouth for the first time since we got on the boat. "You've got us, calm down."

"Thank you! Someone who's got my back." JJ wrapped one of his arms around John B patting one of his shoulders.

"You seriously think this is a good idea John B?" I groaned. I found it unbelievable that my boyfriend was going along with this total insanity. "They almost got JJ and I arrested for crying out loud!"