THIRTY ONE

8 months ago

Everything in my mind was foggy and I was walking at an uncoordinated pace without any direction. My cheeks were soaked with tears that kept cascading down my cheeks. My memories were foggy but I couldn't forget Rafe's manic face and how he had tried to...

I took a few more steps and stumbled, falling to my knees on the asphalt. I could feel the tissues of my skin bruise and the blood began to leak out. I lay down on my side and let out a choked cry.

I left that place running aimlessly, traumatized and fleeing as fast as I could, I was certain that none of my friends were aware of my situation and I don't blame them because I wasn't either.

After a few seconds of agony I noticed someone approaching me and my alarms went off. I shrunk in on myself seeing myself unable to run away and I pleaded between sobs noticing how the monster that did this to me was approaching.

"No, please!" I shouted in between my cries. When the hands landed on my arm I couldn't help but increase my crying.

"Gina for God's sake! At last I find you," I just half-opened my watery eyes as those arms and tousled brown hair gave me to understand that I was safe at last.

"John B?" I whispered in a half sob. John B being there with me was like an angel fallen from the heavens. My best friend wasn't supposed to be in the mood to party since his parents' separation and tonight he was going to stay home consumed in his grief. We were both fighting it in different ways, but if I had known what this Halloween night would bring I would have made his same decision.

"I'm here Gina, I'm with you." he took me in weight and I hid my face between the hollow of his neck. Once he had held me he began to walk. "That bastard." he whispered through his teeth.

My mind began to cloud and I was not aware of how long we were walking and where we were going, the only thing I remember is feeling John B's hand caressing my back and my body shivering from the cold of the night. At some point my eyes started to get heavy and I stopped crying and fell into a deep sleep.

However, my calm didn't last long as images of the trauma that consumed my night began to play in my head like slides at increasing speed. I felt my chest quicken and I wanted to open my eyes as soon as possible. However, my body felt paralyzed, preventing me from reacting until I decided to scream at the top of my lungs.

Then I saw the light. My eyes opened and I sat up in my seat. I started to look to my side trying to recognize the place where I was. I wiped the beads of sweat from my forehead and let out a sigh of relief as I realized that I was in the Chateau, right in John B.'s room. The door opened revealing my best friend, somewhat frightened and approaching me cautiously.

"Is everything okay Ginny?" I could feel the beads of sweat sliding down my forehead in a disgusting way and my throat was completely dry.

"Yeah, yeah... I just think I had a nightmare..." I wanted to think it was although it was more like the memories of that distressing party last night.

"It's because of..." John B cleared his throat uncomfortably. "Is it because of last night?" images of Rafe came to mind and I shuddered. "What an idiot I am, obviously it is. You don't have to talk about it..."

"Easy John B. Come sit next to me I won't bite." he hesitated for a few moments but cut our distance and sat down next to me hugging me.

"Thank you so much for helping me John B, I don't know what I would have done without you." literally John B was my guardian angel, my protector and he had saved me at just the right time. I would need more than a lifetime to thank him.