TEN

We were not far from Mrs. Lana's house. Passing through the streets of South Side didn't give you the best views of the Outer Banks but it still felt cozy, as long as you grew up here or in my case, moved to this part of the Outer Banks in the first place. I suppose people would disagree if they spent their lives in Figure Eight, but believe me, so much facade gets tiring if you're a humble person.

I just took in the scenery made up of ramshackle houses and a few hurricane tracks. It would really take a few months to rebuild all the damage it caused, and if you hurry... years.

"I'm telling you, Mrs. Lana must know something, I'm totally convinced."

"Well John B, what if that's not the case?"

"It has to be the case, otherwise what the fuck was my dad's compass doing on her husband's boat?" John B raised his hand showing the compass and in one motion JJ took it out of his hands. "Hey don't touch it!"

"Easy dude, I was just analyzing it."

"That Big John's compass showed up on that boat doesn't seem like casulity to me." I got involved in the conversation.

"Whatever it is we're going to find out right now." John B pulled the handbrake indicating we had arrived.

The three of us got out of the truck and headed for her house. JJ and John B were still "discussing" how much information they could squeeze out of Mrs. Lana while I just followed a few steps behind them. I sighed. My clothes were still a little damp from running around this morning and I cursed JJ inwardly for not letting me shower and rushing me.

Once near the entrance we started to hear banging inside the house and voices between cuts making the three of us stop in our tracks. Banging, screaming, glass shattering and more banging made me cringe.

"Maybe we should come back another time I don't know if..."

"Shh, shush, shush JJ." John B instructed us to keep quiet and follow him.

"Where the fuck is the compass?" we heard a man shout. "Is it in this house? Huh!?"

We quickly ran to one of the walls of the house and hid under one of the windows to hear better. My pulse was going a mile a minute, so much so that I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest.

"I don't know!" cried Mrs. Lana.

"Hey is she serious we should stay?" whispered JJ with bated breath.

"John B it's not a good idea..." I pleaded.

"Shut up both of you."

"The compass was not on the boat! Where is Lana!" more banging was heard again and I was really fearing for Ms. Lana's life and at this point... ours.

"I don't know!" she begged again.

"It's really happening..." exclaimed JJ and John B shushed him again. A few more strokes brought some dried paint down on our hair. "That's paint?" I nodded towards him without being able to make a sound. In one motion John B stood up and we had no choice but to follow in his footsteps.

"Come on let's get out of here." the men's voices began to drift away so they would be out the door in moments.

"John B smells like a countabandist doesn't look good." I said as we followed him up against the wall.

"Ginger is right, he smells like a smuggler let's go." despite our pleas John B ignored us and continued with the plan, which at this point I wasn't clear what it was but it was far fetched.

Gingerly we poked our heads around the corner of the house and could see the men getting on a boat, who looked familiar...God, they were the guys who shot at us.