FOURTEEN

I coughed as soon as I entered the crypt. Dust motes were scattered all over the place, so I covered part of my face to be able to concentrate better in my search. I illuminated the inside of the crypt with the flashlight I was carrying, but I had difficulty to see 100% and the dim moonlight barely entered through the small hole.

"I need more light." I demanded and John B moved his lamp closer and inserted it into the hole.

The change of light was beastly, from being all in darkness and having to squint to focus better I went to visualizing every single thread of cobwebs that were all over the crypt.

Passing the small flashlight I was holding along the walls and with the help of John B's light I was able to make out a small crack that seemed to contain something inside.

"I think...I think there's something." the light coming through the hole in the crypt began to dim because of the heads of the boys who peeked out at my words. "With your big heads it makes it impossible for me to see fools."

"Sorry! Nervousness!" I heard Kiara say from the other side. I was simply able to half-smile and continue on with the mission.

I reached my arm all the way into the crevice trying to ignore the rubbing of the cobwebs on my skin, grabbed whatever was there and pulled it out instantly. It was a white envelope whose weight was remarkable. I froze when I saw on the cover "For Bird and Little pumpkin."

I held it out to John B with trembling hands, my face was broken. Pope and JJ helped me out of the hole but I was still speechless. Was all this really true?

"Wow, that doesn't look like gold..." exclaimed Pope in disappointment.

"Holy shit." John B had just scanned the cover of the envelope and looked up at me. He knew perfectly well what those names on it meant.

"What's up? You guys, why do you have those faces." Kiara was on edge.

"It's from our parents." explained John B. "They used to call Bird and Little Pumpkin when we were little."

"Pumpkin? Ginger is still the best nickname ever." said JJ proudly beside me and I playfully punched him in the shoulder to show my "dissent."

Suddenly we heard a car engine and watched as the lights reflected in the direction of the crypt. We all ran to the opposite wall turning off all the flashlights we owned or any hint of light.

"Do you think those are the ones who broke into John B's house?" asked Pope trying to get a better focus on the image he had of them.

"I don't know...I can shoot a gun." whispered JJ.

"Fuck it. Run!" exclaimed Kiara and we all followed in her footsteps.

We started running no matter who was chasing us but we weren't going to hide anymore and suffer any more tense moments. We had an envelope that contained essential information of that I was sure and there was no more time to waste.

We arrived at the cemetery gate and with an impulse taken from action movies we jumped one after the other. We looked like real Marvel superheroes, well, or at least almost all of us.

"I'm stuck!" as I turned around I could see Pope at the top of the door and if it weren't for the fact that we were being chased for the fourth or fifth time this week, I would have taken my time to let out a laugh.

"Pope, do you really have to be so inopportune?" said Kiara between grins.

"Get down man!" shouted John B from the pilot of the van putting it already in gear.

"That's what I'm trying!" Pope anxiously began to struggle against the fence. In one motion he gave a yank and his pants began to rip from one end to the other getting stuck to the top of the fence until Pope was left in the men's restroom.