TWENTY THREE

"Little girl come out and sign for the new delivery." shouted Ronald from the warehouse.

My first day was being crazy busy, but in a way I liked that. Orders had been pouring in for the store and Ronald and I had spent all morning repositioning merchandise and attending to customers who came in to gossip about the opening of the new store. Surfers Vips Club was causing a sensation.

I approached the old delivery man to sign some papers. The boxes he brought seemed to be carrying the latest edition of surfboards. I couldn't wait to see what was inside and to see the new neon colors for this season.

"Thank you very much." the nice gentleman gave me a smile which I returned and walked out the door.

"Damn, if they keep bringing us boxes we're going to have to expand the warehouse." Ronald came out of the warehouse in a huff. He had roncjomes of sweat down his shirt and crimson-tinted cheeks. He looked like he'd just come off a bricklayer's site.

"Indeed." I laughed at his comment.

"Well I think that's enough for today." Ronald walked over to the counter to sign some store papers that he had to deliver first thing tomorrow morning to the registrar's office.

"Ronald could you open the new order? I know they're surfboards and I can't wait to see them." she looked like a little girl excited about her first day at an amusement park, but she couldn't help it.

"All yours little girl." he replied without taking his eyes off the papers and I like crazy started to open the package.

And there they were. The latest neon-colored limited edition surfboards. I couldn't believe it. I never thought to have one of these in front of me, not even to be able to touch them. They cost a fortune and here they were. Ronald knew what he was doing.

I pulled out the one that first caught my attention. A lilac, pink and yellow gradient board that imitated a sunset. It was incredible, it was beautiful.

"Pretty, aren't they?" I heard Ronald behind me. I looked at him and smiled excitedly.

"They are a real dream. This one is my favorite." I said showing him the one that had conquered my heart.

"Believe me, mine too." his gaze darkened. "You remind me of my late daughter. She loved to surf and was always excited to see surfboards from my collection." my heart shrank. I didn't think Ronald had a daughter.

"I'm sure you were a great teacher to her." I wanted to bring something into the conversation that didn't sound unwelcome.

"I was for a while...until we stopped talking. She died without me being able to say goodbye to her, you know?" Ronald looked to the side with a sad smile.

"I'm sure your daughter understands and loves you wherever you are." I smiled at him even though inside I was shocked by the sad story.

"Well little girl enough drama. You can keep the board." she walked over to me to reach for the surfboard I was holding in my hands. "I think it looks great on you."

"Are you serious Ronald? No...I couldn't accept it." this surfboard was worth a fortune, although his gesture was touching, I couldn't accept it.

"Don't talk nonsense little girl, it's all yours." he insisted, but my values wouldn't allow it.

"Let's do one thing. You keep it for me and I'll save up to pay for it." I bargained with him, though his face was one of resounding denial. "Please...only then can I accept it." Ronald thought about my proposal for a few moments until he agreed.

"Fine, but if you change your mind you can always take her whenever you want. Now go, your shift is over for today." I looked at the clock hanging on the wall of the counter.